Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96" hot restart

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 96" hot restart

I have a question. I've noticed my 08 DWG starts great when cold but a hot restart can be hit or miss. What is a good strategy for a hot restart? Open the throttle a little? Give a primer shot of fuel? On my evo I open the throttle a little.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM
phatman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you let the fuel pump and check engine light cycle through before a restart? I read here when starting hot just to hit the starter right away and whadda know it starts a lot easier. Give it a try.

Edit: FWIW I wouldn't give it any throttle it's an EFI not a carb.

Last edited by phatman; 05-26-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
rexel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phatman
Do you let the fuel pump and check engine light cycle through before a restart? I read here when starting hot just to hit the starter right away and whadda know it starts a lot easier. Give it a try.
Found that this works for me.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:01 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by phatman

Edit: FWIW I wouldn't give it any throttle it's an EFI not a carb.
I don't remember if I wait or not, I'll pay more attention to see if there is an impact.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine also starts hot easier if I put it in neutral.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Never had an issue with hot starting, I always let the system "cycle" to engine light out.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:03 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Same **** happens to me. Usually happens at the gas station and pisses me off. I'll try the start right away thing with out waiting for the fuel pump and check engine light. Hadn't heard of that before.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
Same **** happens to me. Usually happens at the gas station and pisses me off. I'll try the start right away thing with out waiting for the fuel pump and check engine light. Hadn't heard of that before.
After reading about it on here, last time I was getting gas I tried the "hit the start button before the light goes out" technique. The result? A long, laborious run of the starter before the engine finally fired. I'll be letting the fuel pump prime the lines from now on.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
...The result? A long, laborious run of the starter before the engine finally fired. I'll be letting the fuel pump prime the lines from now on.
Sounds like 85% of my hot starts after waiting for the fuel pump to prime and check engine light to extinguish, except for the "finally fired" part. I end up having to start the procedure over again for it to fire up.

I've had the best luck hitting start immediately after the pump stops priming, which is a split second before the check engine light goes out. Either way it's a crap shoot for me.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 AM
madden23
Road Master

Hot start for me, bike in neutral, flip run switch, immediately hit starter, always starts right up no problems. When a used to wait for lights to go out( which I still do for cold starts) the hot start would be labored and would take a couple of tries. Works for me.

Quick Reply: 96" hot restart