Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black out Exhaust Shields

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Black out Exhaust Shields

Saw a thread recently where owners were discussing blacking out their exhaust shields and mufflers using high temp black gas grill paint. Wondered if anyone has a picture if they've done that. It would save some $ over purchasing HD # 65247-90 and HD # 80601-09.

I'm interested in going with the blacked out look for this but wanted to see what others thought or if anyone really did this and how it turned out.

Thanks,

Christian
Cleveland, Wisconsin

Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
chugchug
Cruiser

On my 07 1200 sporty,i did that but before applying paint,i sandblasted the chrome so the paint would have something to bite into and stick.And i used high temp exhaust manifold spray paint,I guess you could use grille paint too,i already had the hi-temp paint so thats what i used

Old 05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
74c10sb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done my heat shields with the high heat bbq paint and they were chrome they have held up well dont know about the mufflers mine were already black

Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Davii
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did my brother's honda Shadow pipes like that. I media blasted the chrome, then used exhaust manifold paint from pep-boys. His came out nice. I don't know about the barbecue paint, not sure how hot it's rated or how well it sticks.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Davii
I did my brother's honda Shadow pipes like that. I media blasted the chrome, then used exhaust manifold paint from pep-boys. His came out nice. I don't know about the barbecue paint, not sure how hot it's rated or how well it sticks.
Am kind of leaning to the Hi-Temp BBQ paint because you don't need any type of primer. I pretty much want to scuff the chrome with some heavy gauge steel wool and rattle can away.

I plan on getting the Vance & Hines short shots and a stage 1 for next year (just got the bike a couple of weeks ago) but think the exhaust would look perfect blacked out with the combination of chrome, black and pewter on this bike.

Christian

Old 05-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 74c10sb
I've done my heat shields with the high heat bbq paint and they were chrome they have held up well dont know about the mufflers mine were already black
What kind of prep or scuffing did you need to do to get the paint to stick ? Or, did you just clean with alcohol or something and spray away ?

Christian

Old 05-25-2009, 03:30 PM
74c10sb
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
What kind of prep or scuffing did you need to do to get the paint to stick ? Or, did you just clean with alcohol or something and spray away ?

Christian
i just used a scuff pad wipe with a tac cloth and spray

Old 05-26-2009, 01:38 AM
lhcstreetbob
Road Captain

i did my thunderheader it was chrome i sanded it to scuff the chrome and rattle canned it with dei high heat paint its been about a month and it still looks great.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:56 AM
Fatbob Pharoe
Advanced

I worked along the same lines ur thinking. Check out my idea in the pics:

and

Old 05-26-2009, 04:36 AM
sata6
Cruiser

why don't you buy them blacked out they do come that way.

Quick Reply: Black out Exhaust Shields