Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black out Exhaust Shields

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:26 AM
TheOak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used 150 grit to remove all the shine and wiped it down with Acetone. I used Dupli-Color Low gloss black (DE 1634). The color matches up well with the demin black.

Attached Thumbnails Black out Exhaust Shields-100_1417.jpg   Black out Exhaust Shields-100_1418.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have blacked out 2 exhausts.I noticed that my exhaust is a little tougher this time even with the same paint... Difference is I sanded with 220 instead of 400 like before. So if 180 is doable sand down with 180. Paint will stick better and last longer. Clean with acetone(nail polish remover) before application. For paint I use the DEI paint that auto stores sell next to the exhaust wrap. Gives a ceramic look to the pipe.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sata6
why don't you buy them blacked out they do come that way.
Because they cost $206.96 ? What kind of question is that anyway.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Default All done, looks great

I took all of your suggestions to heart and did some more searching on the net. Seems like a lot of bike owners (Harley and others) are doing this same thing by blacking out their exhaust. Most are using the Hi Temp BBQ paint. I've restored many cars over the years and used a semi flat black spray. The BBQ paint is spot on to a semi flat black look. It's not too shiny, it's not too dull. As I mentioned before, The BBQ paint must be a special mix because you don't need any primer and it goes on nice and thick. I used (3) cans and think I put on close to 7 coats overall. All I did was remove the exhaust shields and totally masked out my bike with newspaper. I didn't remove the mufflers because I didn't want to deal with an exhaust leak and/or have to buy new muffler clamps just in case. I used an orange cleaner to get off any bugs or whatnot and then used a heavy steel wool to make sure any crap was off. Then I scuff sanded with a 150 grit sanding sponge I had and finished by cleaning with Acetone. Took my time spraying away over several hours and let the parts dry overnight. I think it turned out exactly how I wanted and it's the perfect mix for the chrome/black/pewter look I wanted without having to purchase the already blacked out HD part # 65247-09 (shields) and the 80601-09 black slip on mufflers. Let me know what you think.

Christian

Attached Thumbnails Black out Exhaust Shields-img_1461.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TheOak
I used 150 grit to remove all the shine and wiped it down with Acetone. I used Dupli-Color Low gloss black (DE 1634). The color matches up well with the demin black.
It looks great. Think we were on the same page. Thanks for the suggestions.

Christian

Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rounder
I have blacked out 2 exhausts.I noticed that my exhaust is a little tougher this time even with the same paint... Difference is I sanded with 220 instead of 400 like before. So if 180 is doable sand down with 180. Paint will stick better and last longer. Clean with acetone(nail polish remover) before application. For paint I use the DEI paint that auto stores sell next to the exhaust wrap. Gives a ceramic look to the pipe.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think one of the important parts is using Acetone to make sure the parts are all clean. One wouldn't want to use mineral spirits/paint thinner because of the film left behind. Your parts look really perfect and do have that semi flat ceramic look that I was going for as well.

Thanks,

Christian

Old 05-26-2009, 02:31 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

powder coat them... i do them all the time. cheap and lasts 10xs as long!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:07 PM
mark0763
Cruiser

i got the black out series vance and hines short shot stagereds and i put a pretty good scuff in them i found some 500 degree paint and napa auto parts store its made by Duplicolor and the color is low gloss black but it is a near perfect match for the denim black that my bike is painted from harley and a near perfect match for the original color of the vance and hines pipes. then paint was like 6 dollars a can and can be found other places than napa

Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm guessing you are past the reccomendation stage since it's done ,and it looks like a real nice job! But if I can add a couple of 2 cents....I think you should have shot the pipe under the tommy gun holes, but , and i hope you won't resent this,but IMO I would have left them chrome with that beautiful pewter denim!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Herd Mentality
Intermediate

Christian, looks awesome. They had a bike at HOH in Milwaukee where I bought mine that they had powdercoated the exhaust, lights, wheels on. I've been debating about blacking out my exhaust, but I think this makes up my mind for me. I'll be ordering my Rush slip-ons in black and getting those shields powdercoated soon if my powdercoater can get them in and back to me in a timely matter.

Pewter Denim Rules

Quick Reply: Black out Exhaust Shields