Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the inner primary noise???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:27 AM
drfalken
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the inner primary noise???

I don't hear it when I first start the bike but after I get back from a ride, pop it into neutral and let out the clutch I hear a whirrrrring noise from the left side of the bike. Could be I just cant hear it on the right because of the exhaust. Anyway I was thinking inner primary bearing. Or is this normal?
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a mechanic and can't be sure that it definately IS your IPB. But that's what my bad one sounded like. Problem is... it STILL sounds like that AFTER the replacement. Oh, the bearing that was removed was definately fried.

Sorry if I confused you. I'm confused too!

Last edited by Topspin; 05-25-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 AM
drfalken
Cruiser

Maybe the bad IPB is causing damage somewhere else??? How much is this going to run me? Should I get a bearing puller and do it myself?

Old 05-25-2009, 12:36 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

A whine from your primary could also be due to the primary chain being too tight.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:26 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Easiest way to tell: With the bike idling in Neutral, pull in the clutch and kick it into gear for a moment. Shift back into Neutral and keep holding the clutch in. Roll on another few hundred RPM, then release the clutch lever. If you hear the whirring noise spool up as the clutch lever is released, it's coming from your IPB. My 2nd failure was kinda subtle; could hear it, but rolling up the RPM's made it easier to hear. Even the HD Tech. thought it sounded "normal". When I asked them to open it up, there was metal transfer between bearing & race, thermal discoloration of the bearing, and metal in the oil. The first time, you could hear the whirring noise from across the street.
I can't tell the year of your Bob from your album pix. If it's an '06, in all likelihood, HD will fix it free. If so, get a copy of the "Amendment To Owner's Manual" letter that HD gave to '06 buyers (saying they'd replace the IPB every 15K miles). Call HD Customer Service in Milwaukee and tell them your IPB is making noise and you'd like it fixed under the terms of the letter. This will establish a "Reference Number" that any dealership can access (gets you, dealer, HD on the same page).
If I can help with any further info, PM me or email my userID @ yahoo. Or search my "Finally - Good News..." thread for copy of the letter and further details. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 PM
drfalken
Cruiser

Thanks guys. pkellymc, I will be calling HD tomorrow. Hopefully it will be good news for me as well. Thanks for all the great info. If this works out you've saved me a boat load of money and time. I'll keep ya posted.