Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a better exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need a better exhaust

When I got my bike I could stand the sound of the stock mufflers...I wanted something different but I tried to go cheaper and bought a set of the pre-epa Screamin Eagle slip ons. I still didn't like it although it was better. So, I bought BCT Monster Baffles and installed them. It's better still, but I still don't like it.

I'm debating getting Big Radius or Thunderheader. I just need some opinions and advice. What sounds deeper and louder? Which should I go with?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:12 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I inquired last week lot's 'o people said the thunderheader was not so loud as you get deep tone and high performance ( at least the 2in1) From what I have seen and heard you can't get much louder than V&H. I've never owned either mind you.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not heard a Thunderheader but I have the BR 2-2 with the BCT baffles and I like loud pipes for the same reason anyone does. I would not be happy if my bike did not sound exactly like I want it to.....but it does. (Not so happy with the BR stock baffles so BCT is a must if you want the right sound) BR 2-2 + BCT = exactly what you are looking for.

Keep in mind I cannot speak for the Thunderheader, it might sound way cool too.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:28 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

I know everyone is always looking for that right sound...I want a deep rumble....I don't know how to describe what I have right now other than a fairly loud clack, clack, clack sound almost like a metallic sound. I just don't like it. I wish there was a way to hear different exhaust before you buy so you don't spend money and not like the results. I guess it doesn't have to be super loud, just sound good.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YellowHawk
I know everyone is always looking for that right sound...I want a deep rumble....I don't know how to describe what I have right now other than a fairly loud clack, clack, clack sound almost like a metallic sound. I just don't like it. I wish there was a way to hear different exhaust before you buy so you don't spend money and not like the results. I guess it doesn't have to be super loud, just sound good.
hehe, funny...the sound you describe is how I would have described the BR with the stock baffles. BCT's took care of that and now I think it is exactly what you are wanting....I wish I could accurately reproduce that sound for you but a video or whatever won't show you anything. At least I don't think so.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

Decisions, decisions....

Old 05-24-2009, 06:56 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Before you drop coin, go to some dealers around you and ask to hear the bike.

I really liked the look of the BR2-1 when I first saw it, but I wasn't going to buy it until I heard one. A dealer had one on the showroom floor and fired her up for me. I liked the pipes even more then, and went ahead and bought 'em.

There is not a video out there, (unless it was recorded professionally, and played back on a 1000w THX system that will reproduce the sound of the exhaust pipes.

The BR2-1 sounds different than other pipes I've heard.... which is fine with me

Last edited by archergodwin; 05-24-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Big Jon 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the V&H Big Shots with the quiet baffles in and love the sound, loud and deep. I love the look too. They use one piece heat shields so there is no seams visible, so it is a very clean looking set up too. I couldn't be happier. 09 Fat Bob.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:37 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got thunderheaders. They are definitely a very deep, hoarse sound. Very tough sounding. I had big radius pipes, and although I did like them, the stock baffles made them sound to raspy. BUT, when I took the baffles out, that REALLY woke them up and sounded amazing, but they were just to loud on deceleration. Anyway, I love my thunderheaders.. I just wish they were a little bit louder. I can hear the sound of my engine over the pipes and it kinda bugs me. It doesn't seem that loud since its a long pipe and its behind me. Eh, whatever.. BUT, I also had the Bassani road rage 2-1 and those just sounded A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Very, VERY deep tone and loud. I kinda regret selling them actually...

Old 05-24-2009, 08:04 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

Well, unfortunately, I don't live close to a dealer. I was in Mobile Bay HD Friday but they didn't have a lot of used bikes in there and they didn't have VH BR or Thunderheader. I'm open to others as well. It's just hard to make a decision without being able to hear them like you said.

I like the look of the Big Radius and from what I understand the 2 into 1 is the way to go for performance. So the Big Radius 2 into 1 might be the way to go. But it kinda sucks if I have to install BCT baffles into $600 exhaust to make it sound good too. Especially since I just spent $150 to buy the BCT baffles to go in my Screamin Eagle slip ons. I appreciate all the advice and recommendations. I have to give this some thought....

Quick Reply: Need a better exhaust