Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beautiful, shiny....pain in the ass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Orange
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks everyone for that great response. That was all really useful - and there are sure some really cool rides out there. Thanks for the photos.

I've never really polished my alloy engine cases. Have had both Sportsters and Dynas before with the polished cases, as well as older (original) Triumphs with the same. But I guess chrome is easier to keep clean and shiny - the downside is that it pits and peels over time if you don't keep it in good order. It would be good to hear from an owner of an older Harley who could tell me how well the chrome has lasted - anyone??

The point several of you have made about the wheels is a good one - and one I hadn't thought of. Alloy wheels are easier in terms of maintenance and of course less hassle if you get a flat. The FXDC I have my eye on has smooth-rimmed chrome steel wheels which look fantastic, but I guess there is a trade-off. I'll think that one over with a cold beer in my hand. Always helps the thought processes!

Oh, and can anyone answer my question about whether the additional chrome on the Custom models is put onto steel (engine casings, rocker covers etc) or whether they just plate the alloy direct? Thanks folks.

Last edited by Orange; 05-25-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Didn't realise I would be replying to all my responses with this reply - so had to alter the text.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:48 AM
hillbilly deluxe
Cruiser

It is plated alloy,not steel.
Cleaning can be a pain,but,it is a good way to keep a close eye on what will need doing.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Orange
6th Gear

Thanks Hillbilly. I was wondering about rust, but that won't be an issue obviously. Nice bike, by the way.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Romark
Road Master

A work buddy has an '08 Low rider and no garage. He has one of those cycle shells that he keeps his bike in. I keep telling him to put a light under his bike but he didn't. Now his chrome has corosion all over. He can polish it out but it will take effort.

The chrome on my '07 WG has remained great but I keep mine in a garage. Never polished my chrome.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Chrome is very easy, just use some S100 for effortless cleaning. It may be expensive to buy, but the labor it saves is worth every penny. Like SC said, I didn't buy it to clean it. It takes me longer to set up my hose and cleanup after I clean the bike, ( I live in an apartment) than it does to clean the bike.
With as much chrome as I have, S100 is the ticket.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love chrome, but the key is to keep it clean & waxed! Believe me chrome isn't cheap! And after you spend a few $$$ on it, you'll definitely want to take the time to make sure it lasts!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 AM
cnydynarider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red devil
I love chrome, but the key is to keep it clean & waxed! Believe me chrome isn't cheap! And after you spend a few $$$ on it, you'll definitely want to take the time to make sure it lasts!
+1 EXACTLY. Resale will be better too.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:11 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a FXD but have more chrome on it than the FXDC and I dont find it hard to keep clean at all. I never polish the chrome I just keep it wiped down with a spray detailer that I use on the paint as well.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA05FXDWGI
Chrome is very easy, just use some S100 for effortless cleaning. With as much chrome as I have, S100 is the ticket.
VERY TRUE,
Dont be afraid of cleaning chrome. I hose down the bike, spray on S100, let it set 5 minutes, rinse, and dry with a 265mph blower.
SPOTLESS!!!
Its a 10 minute job.
Maybe once a month or so I get out the polish when its pouring outside.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Orange
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Romark
A work buddy has an '08 Low rider and no garage. He has one of those cycle shells that he keeps his bike in. I keep telling him to put a light under his bike but he didn't. Now his chrome has corosion all over. He can polish it out but it will take effort.
Wow! It corroded in just a year? And in a shell too? It didn't last well did it?

Quick Reply: Beautiful, shiny....pain in the ass?