Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beautiful, shiny....pain in the ass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:33 AM
883 IRON
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like (enjoy) to wipe my bike down after each ride, I'm a fair weather rider only. Havent washed the bike yet has 2000 miles on her. I use mother's detail spray and a micro fiber towel only on everything. The chrome is easy. The spokes can get a little time consuming, but putting it on the lift helps. I'll give the low pressure water spray and cleaner a try one day and see how that works. Dont be intiminated with all the chrome, it is beautiful and you'll enjoy caring for it. As said before, it is a really good bang for the buck if you are into shine.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 AM
883 IRON
Tourer

Originally Posted by Naz_Man
FXDC....... I like alot of chrome, Takes me about 4-6 hours to clean well but only have to clean it that good once a month so it's not that bad!!

Funny just washed it, have a look!!

I like your bike alot, nice job on it.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:30 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You're buying the bike to ride, not clean, right? A dirty bike is a ridden bike. as far as ease, chrome is pretty easy to clean, and Pig is right. Polished aluminum sucks to clean.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:32 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more chrome the better!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the FXDC. As PigInaBlanket said, the chrome's not that hard to clean, it's the aluminum that's a pain.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:22 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a FXD because I didn't want the spokes/tubes, and don't like the speedo on the tank. I'm also not a fan of the "chrome on a silver engine look". Replacing the polished aluminum/satin with it's chrome counterpart is a bit pricey, though. So far I've done Rocker Box Covers, Front forks, Battery band, Derby cover, Chrome Forward controls, Grips, etc. Lotsa $$$, but a lot of fun and satisfaction watching the bike come together.

That being said, the others are right. If I had to do it again, I'd buy an FXDC and swap the wheels on delivery.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
You're buying the bike to ride, not clean, right? A dirty bike is a ridden bike.
Amen brother.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:36 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You could always get black engine parts and have an even easier time keeping it clean.
One of these days I'm gonna replace or powdercoat my rocker boxes black, paint or powdercoat the forks black and be done with all the damn aluminum polishing.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:41 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Any bike you get is going to be 'your' blank canvas. Get the one that you like the most.

Personally I love my FXDC, but it looks more like a street bob.. sorta... except for the silver engine.... The chrome is no big deal. I only low pressure wash the main lower parts of the engine and tranny/swingarm assemblies. Everything else is wiped off. Here's what I used on my chrome, paint, lexan.... everything:

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/p...s.aspx?pid=667

This stuff is great.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the chrome and the spoked wheels. I spent a little over an hour this afternoon polishing and cleaning the chrome and waxing the paint. Sure I like to ride, but cleaning it is somewhat therapeutic, too, in some sort of weird way. Like looking at a stunningly beautiful woman when it's finished. It's all mine.

Quick Reply: Beautiful, shiny....pain in the ass?