Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I knew better but I did it anyhow...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I knew better but I did it anyhow...

I am going tomorrow to Mobile Bay Harley Davidson to get a new tire put on my front wheel. I have some other things to do while I'm in Mobile so I figured I would just take off the front wheel and take it with me. I jack the bike up, remove the brake caliper, loosen the axle bolts and cannot remove the axle. So, I tried putting a block of wood on the threaded end and tried to drive it out...nothing. I decide to spin the nut back on and down flush with the end of the threaded part of the axle and drive it out. I know better but I go ahead...it worked. Now I remove the nut and use a punch the drive it out the rest of the way. But...now the nut won't go back on more than a turn or so before it binds or crossthreads or whatever. I can't really see any thread damage on the nut or axle but apparently it's there. Now I have to see if they can fix that or if I can buy a new nut. Hopefully I didn't screw up the threads on the axle.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:00 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Instead of tapping it out from the threaded end, should have used a screwdriver in the the other end and wriggled it back and forth.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

Yeah, thought about that. I have some at work but I'm off for a four day weekend now and want to ride. I'll come up with one somewhere and hopefully get it fixed.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you bring the wheel to the dealer for the tire? Bring the axle too. See if they can't rethread it.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:06 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Just got a new axle last month. It was about $80. Mine had gotten cross threaded somehow too. Seeing as I am the only one who works on the bike it must have been me. D'oh! Still and easy fix.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 PM
PsTaN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YellowHAwk ...

Didnt realize we lived that close .... I'm only 80 miles N of Mobile / bout 50 miles E of Waynesboro on Hwy 84. Hope you dont need a new axle.

PsTaN

Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

PsTaN, what city do you live in? I hope I don't need a new axle either. I'm pretty sure it could be fixed with a die. I'm sure I need a new nut because I flattened the end of it just a bit with the hammer.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

SC-Longhair, I left the axle in the wheel and I am taking it with me. Hopefully they can hook me up. It would really suck not to be able to ride this weekend.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Been there. I'm getting better at walking away before I do something bad but it doesn't always happen that way.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
stevengb
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowHawk
I am going tomorrow to Mobile Bay Harley Davidson to get a new tire put on my front wheel. I have some other things to do while I'm in Mobile so I figured I would just take off the front wheel and take it with me. I jack the bike up, remove the brake caliper, loosen the axle bolts and cannot remove the axle. So, I tried putting a block of wood on the threaded end and tried to drive it out...nothing. I decide to spin the nut back on and down flush with the end of the threaded part of the axle and drive it out. I know better but I go ahead...it worked. Now I remove the nut and use a punch the drive it out the rest of the way. But...now the nut won't go back on more than a turn or so before it binds or crossthreads or whatever. I can't really see any thread damage on the nut or axle but apparently it's there. Now I have to see if they can fix that or if I can buy a new nut. Hopefully I didn't screw up the threads on the axle.
did you loosen the two bolts on the lower leg? Axle should have slid right out if you did?

Quick Reply: I knew better but I did it anyhow...