Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baffle question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Larryc5079
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baffle question

Over the weekend, I replaced my V&H quiet baffles with some BCT's. Immediately I noticed a deeper and louder exhaust. I like the deeper tone, but it is very loud. I went out for a ride tonight and I lost some pickup (torque??), like getting on it from 50mph in 4th gear! I also noticed that the bike ran hotter. I will try my original map tomorrow and see how it does.

Did the bct baffles cause this or is it possibly something else? Would the regular V&H baffles help as I have them, but ruined the V&H quiet ones getting them out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I hear the V&H regular baffles are loud as hell. Too bad you wrecked the quiet ones. My guess is if your bct's are louder then there is more air coming out right,so a fuel map may be in order. You should state which tuner you have. 9 X out of 10 the last thing to go on is what put the balance out . If it lost power after the new baffs there is your most likely cause.No worries they have fuel maps for thousands of configurations. OOps it sounds as though you re-mapped it already,are you sure it is the right one?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

The loss of torque is what happened when you removed your quiet baffles. Your original map will not help much. The original V&H baffles will not help either, as they will be similar to the BCT as it relates to the loss of torque.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Larryc5079
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies. What can you tell me about a T-Max ECM? Sounds like it works with whatever set up you have. Where can I get one and what is the cost.

Thanks,

Larry

Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

you're looking at $899 for the Thundermax with autotune.

You can get them from Thundermax, Fuel Moto and a couple of other online places (you can even find them on e-bay). Check the prices, I've seen them as low as $650!

I would also take a good look at the TTS Mastertune (also available at Fuel Moto) if I were you. Read a lot of good reports about that one. (bit more work to set up, but leaves the original ECM on the bike)

http://www.thunder-max.com/

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/zippers_thundermax.htm

http://www.mastertune.net/index.html

Last edited by Rakthi; 05-18-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed BCT Monster Baffles in my V&H Straighshot Slip-Ons and there torque improved in first gear with the improvements at the top of 5th and 6th gear remaining from when I did the intial stage 1 upgrades (ie. exhaust, a/c and Fuelpak). My Fuelpak map remained the same with the BCT baffles as with the stock (regular) V&H baffles.
Did you install the BCT baffles correctly..? Meaning, did you install them 6" from the end of the exhaust pipe outlet..?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryc5079
Thanks for your replies. What can you tell me about a T-Max ECM? Sounds like it works with whatever set up you have. Where can I get one and what is the cost.

Thanks,

Larry
I got a pretty good deal on my TTS Mastertune system. It doesn't 'autotune' but you can do 'datalogging' which you then turn around and modify your current map with. Not too hard to setup.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For torque and sound you might want to find another set of quiet baffles to put back in there. You are running leaner now and risk burning up your top end if it's too lean.

I recommend the TTS Mastertune as well. It has worked great for me and I know it can handle any changes I throw at it. You can tune your own bike with a laptop.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM
frankjake
Road Master

I know every has different taste but when I got my V&H 2 into 1, I told them I wanted the "quietest" baffle they had. I just didn't want any issues with my neighbors.

I also have the stage 1 and SE tuner. I gota say I couldn't be more happy with this setup. It sounds perfect to me, just what I wanted. Not too loud at idle but when I jump on it, it's a deep, throaty, loud sound. And performance increase also improved a lot, very noticible. If I had to do it overI wouldn't change a thing. Like the best of both worlds, quiet when I need it and loud when I want it.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 PM
SH_01FXDWG
Road Master

Read my comments in this thread. I run a carborated bike. It is simple to try this, and I really happy with the resulst so far. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...sideshots.html

Quick Reply: baffle question