Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base coat today, clear tomorrow!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:33 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any flames, logos, stripes planned?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:50 PM
tweakin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great color. I look forward to seeing it completed. Nothing like doing it yourself.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

that looks dope as hell man! great job man! great job.... really take your time laying the clear man... home stretch is here... if you need any help buffing that out let me knwo man i can walk you though it! going to look awesome!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement guys. The clear was interesting. Since the primer and paint went so well I went out with a big head and it wasn't pretty. It really isn't horrible but I have some sags and orange peel. I kept bumping the **** on the regulator (mounted to the gun) and jacking up my pressure. That's not good for the finish. I took the best approach and went to work on the barn. I'm going to smooth out the sags scuff it (hoping to stay out of the base coat) and lay on some more clear this weekend. Tell you what though, even with the botched clear it looks good in the sun. I'll post pics once it no longer looks like an old ladies skin.

Originally Posted by VenturaChop
your not getting alot trash in the paint man?? make sure you tack it before clear looks good man!!!
Not as much as I figured I would. I wiped it down and went to town on Sunday morning.

Originally Posted by timberwolfz28
back when I worked in a body shape, the painters always sprayed the color coat, then when that was done we refilled the gun with clear and kept going. There wasn't much more then flash time in between
I could have went right to the clear but it was late enough that my belly was talking and when I get hungry my patience goes away FAST.

Originally Posted by Geezer2
Ack, lookin damn fine. I'm kicking around changing colors on mine. You're an inspiration man. Can't wait to see it finished. Gonna have to meet in Prosser or somewhere for a beer sometime. Geez
Sounds good to me. Once it's back togetherand I know all the stuff I did is good for the long haul I'm in.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

hey man... **** happens... i lay powder everyday and still screw up all the time... you can save that sucker... if not, scuff it all back down and shoot again... keep it up man!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:48 AM
laroc
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been following your progress with interest. Great job. Glad you decided to paint the battery and coil covers. Can't wait to see the bike completed.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:19 AM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRK5892
... if not, scuff it all back down and shoot again...
!
wrap some 1000 wd around little rubber sanding block and make wet sand passes over the run .and go slowly.after a few passes take the rubber block and drag it across the surface to squeegie the water off and you will be able to see the progress. Resist the temptation to push down a lot and let the flat surface of the block ride on the high crown of the hanger.

but if you do go through the clear, and you are going to re-base any pieces, be sure to prime/seal and feather the area that went through or you could get lifting at the edge of the area that went through when you spray the blue . It becomes a freakin' horror show at that point.

Whos Clear are you using ?? ( what Brand ? ) besides activator and maby reducer are you using an accelerator ?

Last edited by Tele00; 05-19-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mudpuddle
Nice job ack. Well executed.

What kinda paint?? urethane or???

mud

It's Deltron DBC base and DC3000 clear. Not sure about much more than that.

Originally Posted by JRK5892
hey man... **** happens... i lay powder everyday and still screw up all the time... you can save that sucker... if not, scuff it all back down and shoot again... keep it up man!
That's why I went to the barn, if I stayed in the garage I would have kept on til it was too far gone. If I give myself time to think I can work through these things.

Originally Posted by Tele00
wrap some 1000 wd around little rubber sanding block and make wet sand passes over the run .and go slowly.after a few passes take the rubber block and drag it across the surface to squeegie the water off and you will be able to see the progress. Resist the temptation to push down a lot and let the flat surface of the block ride on the high crown of the hanger.

but if you do go through the clear, and you are going to re-base any pieces, be sure to prime/seal and feather the area that went through or you could get lifting at the edge of the area that went through when you spray the blue . It becomes a freakin' horror show at that point.

Whos Clear are you using ?? ( what Brand ? ) besides activator and maby reducer are you using an accelerator ?
Thanks for the pointers. I plan on starting on the areas that you won't see once it's assembled. That will give me some practice before I get to the high profile areas. Not using any reducer or accelerator, just the activator.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:42 AM
TAB1784
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookin' good Rick ... just take your time and it'll come out all right ....

Good work ...

R/
Todd

Old 05-20-2009, 08:13 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

How's it going Todd? I see you're posting with both names....little identity crisis? I plan on going slow and staying out of the base coat. Come Monday I will be ready to install the tins (I hope). You going to be back in time to get any riding in before the nasty weather hits?

Quick Reply: Base coat today, clear tomorrow!!