Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Primary Bearing repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:59 AM
06WGRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner Primary Bearing repair

Wanted to thank everbody who gave me info regarding the 06 IPB problem. Took what I had to the dealer. They had my bike on the lift and the primary apart before I left to get breakfast. Bearing and race replaced out of warranty no charge. Chalk one up for the dealer and MoCo.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Good deal, glad they took care of you!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:13 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope that does it for you 06WG. I had mine go at 3900-mi. Went again a few weeks ago (12.5K); waiting on IP-Case and Trans-Case. First time, they just replaced the bearing/race. This time, they're swapping in the '07+ cases that have the alignment dowels between them. If yours should fail again, have your service writer push for this fix. MoCo is doing mine on their dime, even though I have the extended warranty. I'm also going with the chrome IP-Case (cheaper than the black one!). I'm having them do a close inspection of the Rotor Screws while they're in there; the other '06 issue. Good luck to you.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the whirring noise gone? Mine was still there after the IPB and race replacement. So they opened her up again and replaced the tranny bearings.

The noise is still there.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Good deal, glad they got you in and out quick on there dime as well. I covered it myself since they wouldn't give me the parts. But they would have covered it if brought into a dealer.

-Side note-
I guess I will be the lone person thinking it isn't a alignment issue but rather a bearing/race assembled fit and luberication issue. The race fit's in that bearing pretty losely (for a bearing), and I question the amount of oil getting to the bearing. Personaly if mine goes out again I am looking for a sealed Bearing/race combo like the wheel bearings. But mine is quiet again and running strong as ever now. I got 24k miles out of the first one hope to do the same or better with this one.
Oh and my shaft run out was in spec as well.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Jughugger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkellymc
I hope that does it for you 06WG. I had mine go at 3900-mi. Went again a few weeks ago (12.5K); waiting on IP-Case and Trans-Case. First time, they just replaced the bearing/race. This time, they're swapping in the '07+ cases that have the alignment dowels between them. If yours should fail again, have your service writer push for this fix. MoCo is doing mine on their dime, even though I have the extended warranty. I'm also going with the chrome IP-Case (cheaper than the black one!). I'm having them do a close inspection of the Rotor Screws while they're in there; the other '06 issue. Good luck to you.
Mine is also in the shop for the second time for the same issue. This time they are going to put the new cases on as well. I lost the first bearing at about 15,000 mi., and now that I have around 23k, the problem is rearing its head again.

My shop knows of the problem, but never heard of, or did the case replacements on any other 06 bikes. After speaking with the service manager on the case swap, he called HD, and was given the ok for the repairs. It will end up costing me 50 bucks through my extended warranty.

Last edited by Jughugger; 05-16-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling