Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets : half shell or full face???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:33 PM
seaox
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmets : half shell or full face???

Last year my riding buddy who is a hard nosed, I don't give a sh_t, Harley's forever kinda guy was riding in NH with a 1/2 helmet and sunglasses. At about 70mph a large Junebug hit him square in the mouth and broke 3 teeth off. Now 'toothless' is still a tough guy but he wears a full face helmet. Now says it's the best thing he's ever done. And nobody has made fun of him.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: seaox

Last year my riding buddy who is a hard nosed, I don't give a sh_t, Harley's forever kinda guy was riding in NH with a 1/2 helmet and sunglasses. At about 70mph a large Junebug hit him square in the mouth and broke 3 teeth off. Now 'toothless' is still a tough guy but he wears a full face helmet. Now says it's the best thing he's ever done. And nobody has made fun of him.
OW!

Old 05-12-2006, 04:09 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a similar note....last week I was out for a ride and a sparrow flew right out in front of me and hit me square in the chest. I had a leather jacket on and it still hurt. I can't imagine what would've happened if it was just a foot higher and I had a half helmet (or no helmet) on. The sparrow didn't make it

Call me a pu*sy, but I like my full face these days. And if that makes me a pu*sy, I'll be glad to take it off when I get off my bike...I'll also be glad to take off my jacket, gloves, and sunglasses.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:35 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I posted this picture in another thread about helmets a few minutes ago. I'll be the first to admit that I ain't too bright sometimes. I never wear a helmet unless I'm in a state that requires one. However, if you are going to wear a helmet for protection, I would recommend a full face helmet. The lady in this picture was wearing a half helmet and she was riding my bike. I watched her hit the pavement face-first and slide more than 80 feet. If she had been wearing a full face helmet, none of this road rash would have happened.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 PM
dizzy1450
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I'm so glad to see so many Harley riders wearing full face helmets. I'm new to Harley's (waiting for my bob) and I've always worn full face helmets in my 15 years of riding sportbikes. I was kinda feeling the peer perssure of switching to a 1/2 or 3/4, but I've been uncomfortable with not haveing protection for my face. It's kinda like getting used to your seatbelt and feeling something is missing when you're not wearing it. Anyway I'm planing on sticking with my full face.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:06 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

i am also waiting on my new bob. i bought a few diffrent helmets half. 3/4 and full face .. helmets are cheap and worth there weight in gold its nice to have a few on hand to fit diffrent riding conditions .. i was worryed about looks in he begging but after seeing how easy it is to check out of life i think i will be wearing my fullfaced on longer rides.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:49 PM
foxhd
Cruiser

I also wear several different helmets depending on my trips. I, however have the perspective of being a Physical Therapist, and don't have a lot of stories that I have heard but have dozens of experiences of head injuries,lost legs and arms. This thread makes me think more about wearing my full face helmet than ever before.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:11 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've already posted...and basically I prefer a full face..but will switch occasionally to something smaller depending on the type of ride...but usually it's full. That said, I amaze myself. I can sit here and say I have no problem putting on a full face....more for safety than anything else...and meanwhile I get in my car every day and never put on a seatbelt. I'm a tool. That is one habit I wish I would've gotten into when I started driving 17 years ago...because the reality is, I have a much better chance of getting in a car accident than a bike accident. Maybe I should just wear my full face helmet in my car

Todd

Old 05-15-2006, 11:36 PM
cjackson
Cruiser

I recommend that you try on various brands. They all fit and feel a little different. Go a little snug because they will break in. As others have said, don't worry about style, it is about finding comfort.
Personally, I prefer a Nolan Flip up. It offers alot of flexibility and it fits me well. Years ago I never wore a Helmet. When I started longer out of state trips I had to use one and now I don't like riding without one. I started with a half helmet, then a full face, and then to the Nolan Flip up.
And yes, I went down hard a few years ago on the blue ridge parkway and my first Nolan helmet saved my life. The rest of your body can deal with alot of abuse but even a hard head is no match for concrete. Amen !

Old 05-15-2006, 11:46 PM
mrghos
Road Master

I wear a full face all the time. I have grown out of trying to look "cool" by the standards of people that dont even ride. Here's a thought...

What type of helmets do you see the people wearing on the Official Harley-Davidson Website? On the Harley-Davidson Catalog? On HD commercials? In print ad's? Does HD sell a brain bucket or skid lid with their name on it? Uh NO! There is a reason for that...

Yeah part of it is probably somewhat political in nature but the other side of it is, it's the thing that makes the most sense. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to know that if you slid a full face helmet across the pavement you have a better chance of keeping your face than if you slide a skid lid across the pavement...

There aint nothing cooler than me on my black bagger, with my black boots, with my black leather gloves, my black riding gear and my black full face HD with the smoke gray/black flames...

And I dont give two "SH*@s" that the person going in the other direction does not wave at me when we pass each other. My life does not revolve what other people think...

SAFETY IS COOL! And dont forget it... (oh yeah, and I aint some older dude either)

FOKKER OUT!!!!

Quick Reply: Helmets : half shell or full face???