Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets : half shell or full face???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Motosurf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmets : half shell or full face???

I have three helmets:

Full face Shoei for long freeway ride and heavy traffic and also always use at night..(keeps rocks and road debris off my face that typically is kicked up by truck and automotive tires when cruising at high speeds). It is also the warmest on cool days.

3/4 Shoei for most cruising and local back country riding (quiet and best comfort).

German style for those FTW days....[sm=crossbonesgif.gif][sm=crossbonesgif.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

06 denim bob

Old 05-11-2006, 12:37 AM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a full face with a smoked shield and have on order, for three weeks now, a half shell from ACC in FLA. like them both but the full face is just too hot in the summer.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:20 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a bunch of different helmets...have the full face, 3 quarter, half helmet...I have a DOT "beenie" helmet (it's pretty much the smallest DOT helmet you can buy)...and I have a non-DOT skull cap (useless piece of junk). I've worn every kind, and basically have come to the conclusion that unless I'm in a slow moving parade, I'm putting on a full face. I hate to get hit in the face with bugs...I like knowing that if I wreck it's going to provide the most protection....it protects me from the cold....the list goes on. I don't really give a sh*t what people think. I'm not riding for other people.
This year I went out and upgraded my full face helmet to a HD model, and I love it. It's very comfortable and vented. I will admit, that when it's really hot out, it may not be the most comfortable. On those days, I may put on a smaller helmet. But for the most part, it's a full face for me.

Todd

Old 05-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fullface here, I wear what works for me, I also wear earplugs under the helmet, trying to save what is left of my hearing..to many years with no ear protection and I say HUH a lot now. [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 05-11-2006, 02:51 AM
phreak
Road Master

Ugh

No helmet in town, half on day trips, .75 on the phreeways. I don't care one bit phor the damn things, and no law says I have to here either. A phull phace would drive me phrickin' nutz! Bugs don't bug me.

Wear whatever the hell you want! If you pheel all nice and cozzy in the phullphace, wear it! If you hate it, throw it in a ditch somewhere.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear a full face Shoei.

I know it looks wrong, but I don't give a crap. I ride for me, and nobody else. Some "tough guy bikers" may look down on me while they ride by in a t-shirt, non-dot shorty, and tennis shoes. I still dont care.

If I go down, and there is a good chance it could happen eventually, I plan on keeping my face.

I want to ride for a long time, and the best way to nsure that is to dress for the fall, not the ride.

So follow your head, and do what makes YOU feel right. Oh, and I've not noticed that people don't wave when we pass.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:56 AM
16over
Road Master

"Helmet Laws Suck!"

I don't even own one.

Riding to North Carolina in June, so I guess I'm buying a 70's full face for the trip.

Then back on e-bay it goes!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:44 AM
nvlowrdr
Stage I

In addition to my HD I race an open wheel formula car. In the racing side of things the saying when it comes to helmet selection goes "if you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet". Full face and the best that you can afford is the way to go. DOT approved doesn't mean squat, Snell rated is the only one to buy. Have a friend in Alaska who rode without a helmet, wasn't going that fast, had a quick stopper in front of him and some gravel on the road. It only took him two years to stop slurring when he talked. He was a lucky guy to get his speech back. For what it's worth.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:22 AM
knubbel_7
Intermediate

here in germany you have no chance to ride without helmet.

if you wanna wear a full face helmet pleace take a look to the new Schuberth J1. it's a jet helmet with a removable chin guard and a built in sun-visor. the ventilation is excellent. i bought mine some weeks ago and i love it. you have the light feeling from a jet helmet and the safety from a full face helmet.

regards . . . thomas

http://www.schuberth.com/j1/index.htm

Old 05-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bit the dirt (literally) with a previous scoot.

The front wheel skidded out from under me (to the left) when I was braking and I went down head first. Landed on my face and hands (both arms broken in multiple places, shoulder dislocated) - BUT - the big thing for me was that I had a full face on.

The road wore a hole in the forehead and chin - so much so that I could put my fist through the shell on the forehead. BUT, if it hadn't been for that helmet, I would be either one ugly dude (well uglier) or dead.

I don't care what ANYONE thinks - I go full face for my safety, period!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Helmets : half shell or full face???