Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009 | 07:41 AM
DGDyna
|
Tourer
Default Shifter shaft play

Should there be about 1/4" to 1/2" lateral (in and out) movement in my shifter shaft?

After about a 45 min ride on the interstate, I got off and was stopped at a stop light. I looked down and saw my shift lever shaking. I thought the lever was loose but when I grabbed it, I noticed that the shaft had some play in it.

The bike was in neutral so I'm thinking that may have had something to do with it. The transmission works perfectly (clunk, clunk,...)

Old 05-15-2009 | 07:46 AM
lowrider284
Cruiser

Had the same problem with my king, the stealer just retapped a new bolt and put a new bushing in and I was good to go

Old 05-15-2009 | 07:54 AM
Don51
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DGDyna
Should there be about 1/4" to 1/2" lateral (in and out) movement in my shifter shaft?

After about a 45 min ride on the interstate, I got off and was stopped at a stop light. I looked down and saw my shift lever shaking. I thought the lever was loose but when I grabbed it, I noticed that the shaft had some play in it.

The bike was in neutral so I'm thinking that may have had something to do with it. The transmission works perfectly (clunk, clunk,...)
That doesn't seem right at all.......I don't have any movement with mine at all. Do you have mids or forwards?

Old 05-15-2009 | 08:08 AM
DGDyna
|
Tourer

Mids and I should probably add that I dropped the bike on that side.

It wasn't a free-fall drop. I got off the bike, thought the kick stand was down and it wasn't. I tried to hold it up but I'm not Hercules and it went down.

Old 05-15-2009 | 10:38 AM
Don51
Road Captain

Mids and I should probably add that I dropped the bike on that side.

It wasn't a free-fall drop. I got off the bike, thought the kick stand was down and it wasn't. I tried to hold it up but I'm not Hercules and it went down.
That might be the problem.....Is it sitting square on the splined shaft? I would remove the shifter and see if there is damage to the shaft or the shifter for that matter.

Old 05-15-2009 | 11:36 AM
DGDyna
|
Tourer

I just took a closer look, in the daylight, and noticed that the shift lever is attached to a shaft that goes through the primary and has linkage to a lever on the transmission.

The shaft that goes through primary slides in and out but is limited by the play in the linkage. Nothing is leaking and nothing is bent.

Is this normal?

Old 05-15-2009 | 11:55 AM
Don51
Road Captain

I just took a closer look, in the daylight, and noticed that the shift lever is attached to a shaft that goes through the primary and has linkage to a lever on the transmission.

The shaft that goes through primary slides in and out but is limited by the play in the linkage. Nothing is leaking and nothing is bent.

Is this normal?
If it slides in and out by a 1/4 - 1/2 inch like what you had said before, no I don't think that is normal. I had mids before and mine didn't do that. Is the shifter located on the splined shaft far enough where the end of the shaft is even with the outer edge of the shifter?

Old 05-15-2009 | 12:55 PM
asm481
Road Master

I think what is being asked is, does the shaft with the splines move in and out. Not his lever moving on the shaft.
I will have to take a look see at mine. Haven't noticed movement but it might be there.

Old 05-15-2009 | 12:56 PM
DGDyna
|
Tourer

Yes.

Maybe I'll look at my service manual when I get home from work and see what, if anything prevents the shaft from moving.

Old 05-15-2009 | 12:59 PM
asm481
Road Master

just ran out and checked mine. It moves enough to know it moves. Less then 1/8 inch for me.

Quick Reply: Shifter shaft play