Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

False neutrals on 2006 superglide

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009 | 11:50 AM
Kanzig
|
Tourer
Default Missing 2nd gear on 2006 superglide

Greetings!

I have been putting some miles on my superglide and noticed a big difference between my 2006 sportster and this dyna... I miss second gear while upshifting. Once every so often would be ok but I get them more often than I like. Is this normal for the superglide or is my transmission trying to tell me something?

I have a 2006 Superglide Anniversary edition with mid-controls and from what I can tell it already had the recall work done for that notice where it could slip out of neutral. So here is my question: If you own a 2006 dyna, preferably one with mid-controls, do you get lots of false neutrals?

Thanks for any replies!

Kanzig

p.S. Edited to fix the post title since "false neutrals" are not what I meant.

Last edited by Kanzig; 05-14-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2009 | 11:59 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain

I've got an 06 with mids. Never had it "slip" out of neutral. Never heard of that issue. After I had the inner/outer primary replaced, I had some issues getting it into neutral, but thats was because the bearing was packed very tightly. Not quite sure how you get a "false neutral"...

Old 05-14-2009 | 12:02 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

I've never had that issue either.

Old 05-14-2009 | 12:10 PM
Kanzig
|
Tourer

False neutral (at least as I know it) is where you go to shift into second gear but the bike thinks you want neutral so you end up in neutral and gassing it but no power being applied to the tire since you are in neutral when you didnt want to be.

My honda shadow did this periodically but my sportster never did. Maybe I'm just lazy in hitting the shifter to go up gears but I didn't think so.

Old 05-14-2009 | 12:12 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior

that would be "missing 2nd"

Old 05-14-2009 | 12:44 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Yes, if you shift from 1st to 2nd and inadvertently leave it in neutral, that would indeed be "missing second." I am not sure what a "false neutral" is.. I am not sure you have a problem of any kind. If you are relying on your indicator light, while stopped, to indicate neutral, you are in for a suprise. Since the dawn of time and neutral lights, the neutral light has been erratic. MSF safety courses tell you to NEVER rely on the neutral indicator light being lit to be accurate.

Old 05-14-2009 | 01:37 PM
Kanzig
|
Tourer

Ok I edited the post title so it is accurate.
Seems most here do not experience the problem which makes me think something is wrong with my transmission.

Old 05-14-2009 | 01:52 PM
mikecdmd
Advanced

I had the same problem when I had mids. I didn't always lift my toe high enough to hit second, especially when I was tired. I just was a little cramped. I don't have that problem with forwards.

Old 05-14-2009 | 01:54 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior

you might try lowering the shift lever one or two splines on the shaft ... might just not be getting it up far enough on the shift to be fully in gear... i have to be sure and "feel" it hit when going into second gear or ill miss it sometimes myself..

Old 05-14-2009 | 02:48 PM
jimw411
Tourer

You might want to rotate your shifter down a tooth. That should fix the problem.

Quick Reply: False neutrals on 2006 superglide