Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop 407s on Fat Bob??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM
reesmicm
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dunlop 407s on Fat Bob??

Anybody try the new Dunlop 407s on a FatBob, they have the correct size for the FatBob? Want to get ride of my Dunlop D427F. The 427s are crap in the rain.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

427's Crap in the rain. I beg to differ. Spent a week last month in and around Deal's Gap. Rode 2 days in rain, light moderate and heavy pushed the bike pretty well thru the Dragon and many other roads far less twisty than the Dragon and never once had the slightest bit of protest from the tires either front or rear. My bike is raised a half inch on very stiff Progressive 440 shock in the rear, stock up front, but the forks pressed down to flush in the top clamps. The tires are completely used front and rear from one side of the tire to the other and the mid mount pegs are completely scraped off at the ends. Still original tires and at that time they had over 9,000 miles on them.
On wet, but not slick road surfaces I could come out of the corners in partial lean at full throttle ..... and the engine on my bike puts out more than 1 1/2 times the power of a stock Fat Bob.

Last edited by Centerline; 05-13-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-13-2009, 11:06 PM
reesmicm
Cruiser
Default tires

That's good to hear, another point to look at.

I had a completely different experience in the rain over in the Texas Hill Country in some good twisty roads called the Three Sisters (HW335-336-337), it was moving all over the place. I had the stock suspension. Have some Ohlins on order (1" longer) and plan to do something to the front. The stock suspension could have agrevated the situation.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by reesmicm
That's good to hear, another point to look at.

I had a completely different experience in the rain over in the Texas Hill Country in some good twisty roads called the Three Sisters (HW335-336-337), it was moving all over the place. I had the stock suspension. Have some Ohlins on order (1" longer) and plan to do something to the front. The stock suspension could have agrevated the situation.
My bike does not yet have any stabilizers on it ... tho sitting in my garage is a new SuperBrace. The bike is fine and stabile in any tight turns I have ridden (think those very tight turns of the Gap) up to about 60mph.
In long sweepers, like on the Cherahola Skyway or The Three Sisters where cornering speeds can exceed 60mph, my Dyna begins to flounder about with what feels like frame flex and wandering rear tire. Since I don't grind the pegs on sweepers and press the bike, the wandering stays under control.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:37 AM
benwiggin2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I don't mean to thread jack, so please forgive me for doing so---but for someone as performance minded as I gather you are Centerline, I just wanted to throw this out there for you...

Originally Posted by Centerline
My bike does not yet have any stabilizers on it ...
In long sweepers, like on the Cherahola Skyway or The Three Sisters where cornering speeds can exceed 60mph, my Dyna begins to flounder about with what feels like frame flex and wandering rear tire.
It cracks me up when people install true track and then talk about vibration. What you have described is exactly what the true track has eliminated for me on my fat bob.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by benwiggin2
Hey guys, I don't mean to thread jack, so please forgive me for doing so---but for someone as performance minded as I gather you are Centerline, I just wanted to throw this out there for you...

It cracks me up when people install true track and then talk about vibration. What you have described is exactly what the true track has eliminated for me on my fat bob.
I do love riding the twisties, and the Fat Bob is suprisingly adept (with its limitations). Considering a Tru-Trak or Sputhe, but wonder is there would be fitment issues with my HD oil cooler.
Luv a track day here or there on my Ducati S4RS Monster or Aprilia Dorsoduro.

Like that cool avatar of your Benwiggin .... 'that you?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 PM
reesmicm
Cruiser
Default D427 in rain

One thing my friend noticed riding behind me in the rain/wet on the Hill Country, is the rooster tail of water from the stock Dunlop F427 on my FatBo, it sends it straight up behind the tire, not to the sides like a good rain capable tire does, this tells me it has its limits in the rain.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:49 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

back to tires, Avon and Metzeler are better bets than dunlop. I have metz., great tire. I have read of the Avons being a great rain tire.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 AM
reesmicm
Cruiser
Default tires

really limited with the Fat Bob tire sizes = 130/60 and 180/16, not a lot of selections out there. Can mix up bias front/radial back but too many mixed options out there for that. Right now it's only the Metz and the Dunlops, don't see my size in straight bias or radial with the Avon.