Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle lifts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 PM
YourOldDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle lifts.

Anybody know if this motorcycle lift is any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94121

The price is about right and I could use it on the bobber, atv and lawn tractor.

Or,

What forum could I post this in that might get me an answer that other people read? That's the one problem with a forum with 100 sub-categories as people only read the favorite category and pass on the others so related topics don't get read?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This subject has been beat to death on here. I have a J&S jack that works great. A little spendy but worthit IMHO
http://www.jsjacks.com/lift.html

Last edited by thedonthere; 05-12-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added link
Old 05-12-2009, 02:13 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here are 2 places, i purchased the lift from www.directlift.com and the manual jack from www.discountramps.com, they both have good prices, but the manual lift i purchased for $50.00

good luck.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect you'd find lift threads on almost every forum on this site. It comes up often and the bashing begins. Typically you get what you pay for so you just have to ask, how much is enough?

I bought the much maligned red motorcycle lift from Sears over a year ago and it is still going strong. I use it with my bike, my son's dirtbikes, and on my ATV. Never had any trouble with it and I think I paid $59 for it on sale.

If you want to spend more money for peace of mind, go ahead. It certainly won't hurt anything, but your wallet.

With all that said, most of what Harbor Freight sells is "cheap". However, i bought a locking wheel chock from there for $29 on sale and it works just fine for what I need it for. Many would say my little red lift from Sears is cheap too, but it gets the job done.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

yes it is good

Old 05-12-2009, 03:11 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Sears Red jack and am unhappy with it coupled with the hd lift adapters. It feels very unstable when the bike is on it. It wobbles back and forth.

I have been checking out either J&S jack or Pitbull jack, both of which are designed for the dyna frame and are used WITHOUT the lift adapters.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:04 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine doesn't wobble at all and I always use the frame adapters. I also use the recommended tie down straps though. But, I've moved the whole bike on the wheels of the lift without straps and just holding on to one side of the bars, with no problem before.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Like FXDC said - it's what you comfort level is. Mudpuddle said something like...

Sears red/harbor freight - Geo metro - entry level, but gets the job done
Sears yellow - Honda accord - decent jack at a decent price
J&S/Pit Bull - The luxury automobile - awesome jack but a higher price

I have the J&S and love the thing. I have taken off both front and rear wheels and replaced the fork sliders without straps or adapters. Just roll it underneath and start pumping.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I have been checking out either J&S jack or Pitbull jack
I looked at both before I decided on J&S. Pitbull has a longer (not wider) base and lifts to 24 or 25 inches high. J&S lifts to 18" and is cheaper than pitbull. Both are top shelf jacks so there is no wrong answer. But I didn't see where the extra money for the pitbull made it a 'better' jack. IMO

Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 PM
YourOldDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, sorry if I struck a nerve with some!

Well, I'm not a kid anymore. I'm quite sure that in 5 years I won't give two $h1ts if it's still working as I won't likely be riding much or paying to have work done. I'm going to gamble on the one from Harbor Freight and hope to get lucky. I find with HF, you have to know what you're looking for and plan on light use. I got a fantastic gravity fed sprayer from them, a geared head milling machine that works just fine for back yard machinist use. Also got an engine lift that works great around my barn/shop for lifting things I can't life. Bought their 20 ton hydraulic press and despite the welds that look like chunky peanut butter it has held together The lift is available here in Buffalo and I don't have to pay for shipping like I would for some others.

I just had my driveway poured and had them put a place to the side of the barn for the lift so I can work outside on the bike, atv and lawn tractor. Life is good.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle lifts.