Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAM.....I got rearended!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009 | 12:52 PM
donr101395
|
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Glad you survived and weren't seriously injured.

Did you see him coming in your mirror?

Yep, I saw him when he was about 100 or so yards back and then got distracted trying to figure out what the guy on the cross road was doing when he stopped since he didn't have a stop sign. Found out afterword that he was a local paramedic and he stopped because he thought I was going to shoot through the intersection because it didn't look like the guy who hit me was going to stop. He didn't want me to get pinned between the two trucks. I didn't go because I thought he was going to realize he didn't have a stop sign and then broad side me. I looked back into my mirror to check on the guy coming up from behind right about impact time. He was doing about 40-45 and locked the brakes when he realized there was a stop sign. He never saw me until he hit me.
Accidents happen and it all turned out well. I've got a lot of "advice" here and from others off the board about getting this or that from the insurance company. It's just not me or my style. The bike is fixed to my satisfaction, I don't have any injuries, and IMHO taking the insurance companies "for a ride" is one reason insurance rates are the way they are and why insurance companies can be a pain in the azz to deal with. His insurance(Progressive) was great to deal with, they were ready to do the assessment before I even got the bike to the shop. The adjuster called me within 20 minutes of reporting it; which was within an hour of the accident. He followed up with the shop every week and then called me with an update. I appreciated it because it kept me from bugging the shop to finish it. The shop was good to me also, they powder coated a few of the parts that they had to replace because they new I was going to have it done at the end of the summer anyway.
While I'm at it I'll put a plug in for the shop that did the work; BDB Custom Cycles in Niceville FL. They do great work and are family and veteran owned. The owner is retired military, his other mechanic is his son who is a veteran as well and his daughter runs the register, does their powdercoating, laces wheels, does the internal bar wiring etc. and is a veteran as well. Bottomline, they are great people with a great shop.
Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone.
Now I'm out the door to go ride

Last edited by donr101395; 06-28-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2009 | 05:19 PM
joker2041
Advanced

Originally Posted by donr101395
Yep, I saw him when he was about 100 or so yards back and then got distracted trying to figure out what the guy on the cross road was doing when he stopped since he didn't have a stop sign. Found out afterword that he was a local paramedic and he stopped because he thought I was going to shoot through the intersection because it didn't look like the guy who hit me was going to stop. He didn't want me to get pinned between the two trucks. I didn't go because I thought he was going to realize he didn't have a stop sign and then broad side me. I looked back into my mirror to check on the guy coming up from behind right about impact time. He was doing about 40-45 and locked the brakes when he realized there was a stop sign. He never saw me until he hit me.
Accidents happen and it all turned out well. I've got a lot of "advice" here and from others off the board about getting this or that from the insurance company. It's just not me or my style. The bike is fixed to my satisfaction, I don't have any injuries, and IMHO taking the insurance companies "for a ride" is one reason insurance rates are the way they are and why insurance companies can be a pain in the azz to deal with. His insurance(Progressive) was great to deal with, they were ready to do the assessment before I even got the bike to the shop. The adjuster called me within 20 minutes of reporting it; which was within an hour of the accident. He followed up with the shop every week and then called me with an update. I appreciated it because it kept me from bugging the shop to finish it. The shop was good to me also, they powder coated a few of the parts that they had to replace because they new I was going to have it done at the end of the summer anyway.
While I'm at it I'll put a plug in for the shop that did the work; BDB Custom Cycles in Niceville FL. They do great work and are family and veteran owned. The owner is retired military, his other mechanic is his son who is a veteran as well and his daughter runs the register, does their powdercoating, laces wheels, does the internal bar wiring etc. and is a veteran as well. Bottomline, they are great people with a great shop.
Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone.
Now I'm out the door to go ride

Its good to see that there are still some people out there who are not all about running off and suing or trying to milk someone dry the first time something goes wrong!!!! Thats half the problem today with people!!! I am glad everything turned out well on your bike and you!!

Old 06-28-2009 | 06:36 PM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

Really glad to hear that you weren't hurt. After reading how you said the bike 'shot out from under you', I thought about what would have happened to me w/ the stepped seat and the sissy bar. Not a good thought! Get it done, and get it done right.

Old 06-28-2009 | 08:57 PM
donr101395
|
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by joker2041
Its good to see that there are still some people out there who are not all about running off and suing or trying to milk someone dry the first time something goes wrong!!!! Thats half the problem today with people!!! I am glad everything turned out well on your bike and you!!

Thanks
I see in your sig line that you have a 68 Lincoln; that is one of my all time favorite cars. I love the hard top and suicide doors.

Originally Posted by Mk1Racer
Really glad to hear that you weren't hurt. After reading how you said the bike 'shot out from under you', I thought about what would have happened to me w/ the stepped seat and the sissy bar. Not a good thought! Get it done, and get it done right.
Thanks man, it could have turned out much worse.

Old 06-29-2009 | 07:23 PM
tdegroot
Cruiser

I just like to add too, GLAD YOUR OK!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2009 | 08:16 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

Great! You're back in the saddle again!

Old 06-29-2009 | 08:21 PM
Dragon5
Tourer

Glad you're ok dude, the same thing happened to me last week. Rearended while at a stoplight. Just got through with the adjuster, $2500 in damage. Fender, taillight, wheel and tire, pipes were scratched, rear tail light, brake pedal, right mirror, right peg. It all adds up. Luckily there was no "real" damage like bent frame/ swingarm, then I would have been really pissed.

The adjuster said it was really easy, she wrote a check to REPLACE everything that was damaged, and no more. Im a little pissed about that, but I made it work to my advantage.

I worked with the dealer to get some V&H shortshots instead of the stock pipes, got a laydown plate holder to replace the billboard looking thing. I opted not to replace the right footpeg and brake lever cause I couldnt find any damage on the footpeg at all and the brake lever had the slightest scratch. That saved me almost $200 to put towards the Harley Stage I air filter kit (round) and a PC V all dealer installed so there will be no warranty issues, with less than $300 out of pocket. I wish the Insurance company would have hooked me up with more than what it cost to replace everything, but without going to a lawyer, my hands are really tied.

Either way, I get hit by some stupid BIT*H and I got a Stage I out of the deal. Im not really too upset.

Good luck with your bike dude!

Old 06-30-2009 | 12:00 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Man... nothing worse than seeing a cluster**** in action and not being able to figure out the right thing to do to keep yourself out of it. You're almost sure whichever you pick will be wrong. Glad it wasn't worse and you're OK.

Old 06-30-2009 | 07:58 PM
donr101395
|
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Man... nothing worse than seeing a cluster**** in action and not being able to figure out the right thing to do to keep yourself out of it. You're almost sure whichever you pick will be wrong. Glad it wasn't worse and you're OK.

You can say that again. It's crazy riding around here. People don't pay attention to anything but their cell phones. I had to veer onto the shoulder next to the car in front of me tonight coming home from work because the baboon behind me wasn't going to stop. He stopped about 2 feet from hitting the car I pulled next to, you guessed it, he was on his phone and not paying attention to traffic. I know 4 guys who have been rear ended on bikes here in evening traffic in the last two months. Two about as much damage as mine and 2 totaled with trips to the hospital, one was my mechanic.
Ya'all stay safe out there.

Old 02-12-2011 | 08:54 AM
lukemc7
Cruiser

While I'm at it I'll put a plug in for the shop that did the work; BDB Custom Cycles in Niceville FL. They do great work and are family and veteran owned.
Definately is a great shop, its where I get all of my work done.

Quick Reply: BAM.....I got rearended!