Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAM.....I got rearended!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:31 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Let us know how it goes dude. Any ongoing pain?

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:52 AM
Ky Windage
Cruiser

Wow, good to hear you were able to get back up from that one.

If I were you, I would also take the time to get checked out by a "good" Chiropractor. There is a cause & effect to some accidents... whereas the effects of the accident sometimes don"t show up until months later. Sometimes permanent damage can be done.

Had a friend that had a seemingly minor wreck. Several months later started having pains down his leg that got worse over time. Finally got annoying enough that he went to a chiropactor... said he waited too long... the siatic nerve was damaged and he would have to deal with pain in his leg for the rest of his life.

Good luck getting things fixed.

Old 05-13-2009 | 06:55 PM
donr101395
|
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by '09fxdb
Make sure your bike is as good as new or better and you are in good health....as for "pain and suffering" and all that money making crap...leave it for Jerry Springer...Happy to hear you are still kickin'....(get a broken wing patch and tell some stories)...

That's pretty much my attitude also.
The adjuster looked at the bike today and it came to $3K in damage. I talked to the mechanic afterwords and we're going to powder coat the rear fender so it's more durable while using the fender rack, plus it will save some time versus ordering a factory painted black denim fender. He's saying if the forwards I have are in stock he should have it back on the road in 2-2 1/2 weeks.

ETA: Progressive has been better than I expected. The adjuster that came out knew bikes and knew there was a difference between a set of $250 Kuryakin forward controls and a set of $800 Legend billet forward controls. He would be showed a part that needed replaced asked a price and added it to the total. There was no low balling or asking what I paid the only thing that mattered to him was what it was going to cost to replace. It was a nice change compared to the Dairyland adjuster that looked at my wife's truck a few years ago and some of the horror stories I heard.

Last edited by donr101395; 05-13-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2009 | 10:54 PM
MyBeerBelly
Tourer

sorry to hear that happen to you...glad to see you are ok...
J

Old 05-14-2009 | 01:02 AM
frankjake
Road Master

Originally Posted by jakeiniraq
Ouch! Glad to hear you're ok! I'm going to pass this link on to my son and remind him to be constantly watching his mirrors while stopped at stop signs/red lights.
I hate to say, I can't beleive every rider doesn't do this. It's just 2nd nature to me. When I'm at a stop light or sign, I don't worry about what's in front of me, my eyes are on my mirrors until it's my turn to go.

And I have had to pull forward or take off around another car before because I didn't think the car coming up on my a$$ was going to stop in time.

The original posters experience should be a lesson to everyone to watch your mirror at all time while stopped.

And the same should go for people driving while talking on the cell phone. If you see a driver talking, stay away from them, don't get in their blind spot, don't ride right next to them. You never know when they might pull over and cut you off. Ride like everyone is out to hit you!

I'm glad to hear the original poster wasn't hurt.

Old 05-14-2009 | 06:12 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frankjake
The original posters experience should be a lesson to everyone to watch your mirror at all time while stopped.
Yep...a good reminder for everybody. Cars get rear-ended all the time, but the consequences of being on the receiving end riding a bike are a lot different.

My two biggest worries about getting hurt on a bike are hitting a deer and getting run over from behind.

Old 05-18-2009 | 09:10 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

Boy - just found out about your wreck! Glad you are ok...your living my worst nightmare. I've read a lot of posts lately like this. So much, so that I have been very vigilant in checking my mirrors at lights. I even favor one side or the other of a car in front of me when stopped in traffic in case I need to pop into the split to escape a rear-ender.

Really glad you hear you are fine. Maybe you could sew some waving arms on the back of your safety vest.

Old 05-18-2009 | 09:15 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Dude, glad you ok..... Don;t forget to have the motor looked at, it was running when the accident happend right?

Old 05-18-2009 | 09:51 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Glad you are ok...but you might be injured. When I was hit by a cage 30 years ago my fractured neck issues didn't show up until almost a year later AFTER I settled without an attorney. (stoopid). My best advice...get a personal injury attorney and don't settle for at least 2-3 years. Your stiffness today may be tomorrows nerve damage that lasts for years. Mine lasted for 10 years. When I went back to re-open a PI claim his insurance company told me to pound salt.

BTW, don't sign ANYTHING unless an attorney reviews it......especially a payment check.

Old 05-18-2009 | 10:01 PM
donr101395
|
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks guys, that why I like this place. Folks come out of the woodwork to wish you well and give excellent advice based on their experience.
The doc gave me a clean bill of health, not saying something won't show up later, but it will be hard to determine what in life caused it. I've had a lot of abuse to my body through the years and already have an existing back, neck, knee and shoulder condition from the military.

ETA: I like the waving arms on the vest idea. The wife didn't think it was funny though when I told her I'd rather have a 20 year old Ukrainian back there waving her arms.

Last edited by donr101395; 05-18-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: BAM.....I got rearended!