Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launching Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Launching Tips?

I tried to search for this and came up empty handed – maybe I should be too embarrassed to ask. LOL

I just can’t seem to launch my Street Bob worth a damn. I don’t go around trying to do this all the time, but I can’t really seem to spin the tire on launch just for kicks either. Is this bike too heavy to be attempted to do that? I’m sure it’s not good for it to be stressing it like that.

As for a good launch as if say I were to race somebody. I launched it last weekend while out by myself and almost got flung off the back of the bike. Is there a trick to staying on the bike? Should I be clamping my knees tighter or what? Maybe that Street Bob seat just isn’t too hot for drag racing?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can definitely smoke the tire or pull a wheely if you choose. Rev it to about 2 grand and just pop the clutch. If your tire is sticky hot, you'll raise the fromt end. Better be damn careful though. Also, if your motor is stock, I wouldn't recommend this at all. It's a great way to clock or scissor your flywheels...Not to mention what can happen to the rest of your motor, but the flywheel set-up is definitely a weak link. Better off slipping the clutch some and rolling on the throttle.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't make my Bob wheelie or spin the tire either. I think the clutch is just too weak.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:19 PM
mehurr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I’m not trying to break anything…. Much less have it get away from me and drop it. I was just on some of what looked like really slick pavement last weekend and thought for sure I could peel out a little and I don’t think it peeled out much at all. I rocketed off fairly well though.

I was more interested in technique for a successful racing launch. I see people on here posting their quarter mile times a lot. I just don’t seem to have much luck with launching without being nearly thrown off the bike. Maybe that’s my inexperience? It’s just such a big bike. It’s probably best that I don’t experiment anymore with launching it. I think it’s probably the seat not being very well suited for quick launches.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

If u watch some crotch rocket videos or even other drag race videos when u first launch they have it rev'd up a little bit for the launch after the have the tire nice and sticky, they then lean a bit forward to help not wheelie and leave their feet and legs out to the side *For some reason* then after however many feet they put them back on the pegs to be more arrow dynamic..but i wouldnt recommend doing that unless u wanna update ur clutch a little bit to handle the ware and tare

Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I haven't been on a stock Dyna for too long : ) You hang your legs out just in case the rear tires gets loose and squirrely...

Old 05-11-2009, 03:01 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i dump mine right as the RPM drop at 2300, gives me a great pull and sets me up nice to drop into my power band in 2nd gear...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:04 PM
C-Cat
Tourer

rev engine up at its peak torque or just below and ride clutch as not to wheelie or spin too much. my streetbob when it a had a 103 would flip you off the back if you just dump the clutch with the revs up. the se 180 is a sticky tire, much better traction than the stocker. perfect lauch imo is the front wheel just skimming off the road or track. se spring on the stock clutch can handle over 100/100 easy.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Davii
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just get the rps up a little and let the clutch go quickly while rolling into it. Not dumping it, but almost.

Quick Reply: Launching Tips?