Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baaaaad vibes

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

problems with plugs or wires can cause vibration.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I did a good visual inspection and nothing seems to be out of place or loose. I did change my map from the custom map from an hdf member to the canned thunderheader map from dynojet. I didn't get to ride too much because we had some big nasty storms rolling in. However the problem seems to have diminshed some but still pretty nasty. I know when to admit this is bigger than what I know. I will probably contact a local dealer and see if they can check it out. My gut tells me it's probably the motor mount.

I did however pull my a/c off because it was nasty as hell and needed a cleaning and reoiling. When I pulled it off, damn if some oil didn't drip out of it and onto the top of the cam chest. There was a lot inside. More than what I usually find. May be a sign of a bigger problem. My warranty ends next January so, if it is big, let it happen now.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:14 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I would clean up the oil, clean up the IAC and MAP sensor (oil will screw it up), clean your filter really good, re-oil - let dry and try again. If your filter was that dirty, it's entirely possible that the restricted flow caused a slight increase in vacuum and was pulling more oil mist out the top of your engine. Worth a try before you take it to the stealer.

EDIT: use cleaner meant for MAP/MAF sensors, and not carb cleaner

Last edited by archergodwin; 05-06-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:20 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Awright. I did notice the vibes were pretty strong through the footrests too. Damn near vibrated my feet off.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:55 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Just had another idea (yeah, beginner's luck!), and didn't read page-2 to see if anyone else mentioned it. I stumbled across a few "build" articles here, and in American Iron. Don't remember the details, but I do remember both made reference to "shifting" or "twisting" of the crank-halves/flywheels. This can throw them into major imbalanced condition resulting in hi-levels of motor vibration. Seems that once the builders get all the pieces aligned, measured and torqued, they'll tack-weld the crank components to keep them from shifting. I'm pretty sure Mud did it when he posted those awesome pix & write-up of his recent build. Sorry if my component names or terminology here is inaccurate; I'm speaking from a vague recollection of what I read weeks ago, but that's the gist of it. Hope this isn't you (major teardown), but the degree of vibration-agitation-aggravation-constipation you're getting sounds like it could be from that ZIP Code.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 05-07-2009 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Thanks Patrick. I need to contact my service dept and let them take a look at it. I thought that maybe something I did (or didn't do) while my front end was apart could cause it but the problem seems to be there during idle in neutral so I doubt the front end has anything to do with it.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Well, I haven't had a chance to get the bike down to service but tonight was so pretty I decided to try to go for a ride....which didn't last but about 15 min. I experienced pretty nasty surging while doing a constant speed. If I cracked the throttle it was all good. Felt like I was running out of gas but not. I still had about 2gal. left.

I did pull the front plug and it's about as black as can be. I'm thinking I may slap a new set in. Who knows.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

This is my first real issue with the bike so I'm not that unhappy about it. 15k miles isn't bad before having to deal with a real issue, don't ya think?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Well, I haven't had a chance to get the bike down to service but tonight was so pretty I decided to try to go for a ride....which didn't last but about 15 min. I experienced pretty nasty surging while doing a constant speed. If I cracked the throttle it was all good. Felt like I was running out of gas but not. I still had about 2gal. left.

I did pull the front plug and it's about as black as can be. I'm thinking I may slap a new set in. Who knows.
Could be from sucking oil. I would get some MAF spray and clean your MAP sensor.... that could be causing your surging as well.

I would check your engine oil level too....

Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Bobber S
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you feel the strong vibration when you increase the RPM's when not moving ? If yes this will rule out any front end, wheel balance, or transmition issues and isolate the problem to the engine mount or engine performance.

Quick Reply: Baaaaad vibes