Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baaaaad vibes

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratbob
Vic,
When you had your front end apart last weekend did you have any parts left over? But seriously, did you go with a heavier fork oil than you're used to?
Don't laugh...the first time I had it apart, two weeks ago, I did have an extra part left over once I put the right side fork back together. I wasn't paying attention. Had to take it all apart again.

As far as the fork oil, no. I used the HD type E fork oil and actually put in a little less. manual called for 29.6oz. I put 28oz back in. How do you measure 6/10 of an ounce???? I think the people who write service manuals put that sort of thing in there just to make the shadetree mechanics crazy. The bike rode great on Saturday, 2-up for 250 miles. Tuesday, I did maybe 100miles rd. trip solo and it's all crazy.

(side note: the parts guy didn't know what weight the type E oil is. Not surprised. I think I read it's 5wt somewhere on HDF.)

Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe those pinch bolts were too short! Ha Ha
Best o luck getting it right, keep us posted on what you find.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Thanks. I definitely need to do something. I have plans to hit The Smokeout in two weeks. I will be riding.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:07 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Before you do anything go refuel with Shell Vpower at a station that gets lots of traffic and usually will have fresh fuel. Could be bad gas or you got a permium tank that was filled with 87 octane. Next check your top motor mount where it bolts to the jugs. It should have 2 bolts. Mine got loose at about 2,000 miles and cause the same hand buzz. Snug them with a box wrench as mine only took about 1/2 turn. Then support the engine, loosen the two bolts on the front isolator mount and see if there is any movement then re-torque both. But try the gas first.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read that when the compliance of the front motor mount goes away, vibration can shoot off the charts. Hope you get things ironed out soon. Let us know what you find; "there, but for the grace..."

Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

possible you are feeling a lean vibration. Air or exhaust leak. Maybe the sensor in your intake needs to be cleaned.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

My 03 FXD started that vibration crap at about 18,000 miles. I know it is not wheel balance or alignment issues because it does it sitting in the garage in neutral between 1900 and 2400 RPM. When I ride, the vibration is so bad that all the blood gets vibrated out of my fingers. After about 40 miles, my hands are completely numb and totally white - no blood in the fingers at all. I have replaced the front motor mount and it made no difference. I know somebody is going to say to lighten up on the grip, but that ain't the problem either. No similar issues with my Ultra or the girlfriends Sportster. I can ride them all day without a problem. I'd be interested in hearing anybody's solution to this issue.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:39 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Before you do anything go refuel with Shell Vpower at a station that gets lots of traffic and usually will have fresh fuel. Could be bad gas or you got a permium tank that was filled with 87 octane. Next check your top motor mount where it bolts to the jugs. It should have 2 bolts. Mine got loose at about 2,000 miles and cause the same hand buzz. Snug them with a box wrench as mine only took about 1/2 turn. Then support the engine, loosen the two bolts on the front isolator mount and see if there is any movement then re-torque both. But try the gas first.
Well, I did fill up with 93 oct. gas from a local high-volume citgo. First time I've ever used that gas station in particular. Suppose gas could factor into the situation.

Originally Posted by rounder
possible you are feeling a lean vibration. Air or exhaust leak. Maybe the sensor in your intake needs to be cleaned.
I wouldn't think the bike is running lean. I am running a pcIII map another hdf member sent me. We're both running similar setups. I was thinking about installing the canned thunderheader map from powercommander site.

Originally Posted by rh8234
My 03 FXD started that vibration crap at about 18,000 miles. I know it is not wheel balance or alignment issues because it does it sitting in the garage in neutral between 1900 and 2400 RPM. When I ride, the vibration is so bad that all the blood gets vibrated out of my fingers. After about 40 miles, my hands are completely numb and totally white - no blood in the fingers at all. I have replaced the front motor mount and it made no difference. I know somebody is going to say to lighten up on the grip, but that ain't the problem either. No similar issues with my Ultra or the girlfriends Sportster. I can ride them all day without a problem. I'd be interested in hearing anybody's solution to this issue.
That about sums up what I'm feeling. It's a pretty serious vibration. Took me close to 30minutes to get feeling back into my hands.

So many variables. I'll have to check a lot of things when I get home. I'll do one at a time. Thinking more about the ride yesterday...I had to tighten my handlebars as they loosened up just enough that they moved when I took off in first gear. I retightened them and after I left the lake I was at, I distinctly heard what sounded like something metallic hitting the ground...on two seperate occassions. Like a nut or something had fallen off. Not really any place to pull over so I just kept going. It was getting close to sundown and I left my jacket at home. I was a bit cold and just wanted to be home. By the time I got home, it was dark and no way I could do any visual inspections. We'll see what today turns up.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Now ya really got my interest peaked there SC...

Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair

I wouldn't think the bike is running lean. I am running a pcIII map another hdf member sent me. We're both running similar setups. I was thinking about installing the canned thunderheader map from powercommander site.

If you developed a intake or exhaust leak, the pc3 will not compensate.

Quick Reply: Baaaaad vibes