Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This bike kicks my @ss on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:05 PM
883 IRON
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This bike kicks my @ss on the freeway

Ive had my '09 FXDC now for a couple months and have about 1200 miles on her now; it is a kick to ride. On the back roads up to 50 miles an hour it is a joy, love 4th gear in this bike. When I jump on the freeway and travel at speeds in the 60-70mph range it beats the hell out of me. More specifically makes my neck pretty sore after about 15 minutes of riding. I wear a Harley 1/2 helmet and short helmet shield and I figure the shield isnt helping either. I'd prefer not to put a windshield on her but I will if it will help on the freeway road trips. I'm not a puss, but am 50 and my body has been beat up from my line of work over the last 30 years. I really enjoy riding this Dyna, I want to continue but it has to be comfortable. My wife says sell it and buy a sports car, no way thats happening. Any ideas???

THX
Steve

Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

it is the wind at 70+ MPH hitting your head and chest that are wearing you down.

more or less, the only way to block the wind is a... windshield

Old 05-02-2009, 05:16 PM
looneycanuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 883 IRON
Ive had my '09 FXDC now for a couple months and have about 1200 miles on her now; it is a kick to ride. On the back roads up to 50 miles an hour it is a joy, love 4th gear in this bike. When I jump on the freeway and travel at speeds in the 60-70mph range it beats the hell out of me. More specifically makes my neck pretty sore after about 15 minutes of riding. I wear a Harley 1/2 helmet and short helmet shield and I figure the shield isnt helping either. I'd prefer not to put a windshield on her but I will if it will help on the freeway road trips. I'm not a puss, but am 50 and my body has been beat up from my line of work over the last 30 years. I really enjoy riding this Dyna, I want to continue but it has to be comfortable. My wife says sell it and buy a sports car, no way thats happening. Any ideas???

THX
Steve
Sell the wife and buy a sports car.

I find that with a 1/2 helmet, I am pushed around but with the full-face, I am fine and this is with a windscreen and either helmet.

But, to me, this is a part of the Dyna experience; if I wish to ride in comfort, I take my SteetGlide.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like you I'm an old bastage. Killing my neck at high speeds too, so as to not uglify the fxstc I chose a Windvest. Now I can pound the 4 lanes all day , bike looks good and I arrive with a neck of an 18 year old at the end of the ride. You still get wind but it won't wear you down.
Ron

Old 05-02-2009, 05:18 PM
truckerdead
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go test ride a street glide...

Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Lorance66
Road Master

detachable windshield

Old 05-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lorance66
detachable windshield
Yup. I went for a short ride the other day without my Memphis Slims windshield in place and I was amazed at how much I got "beat up" and I never went over 45 mph. With the windshield on 70+ mph on the Interstate is no problem.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:51 PM
ronny c.
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAD A detachable windshield included with my bike and never rode without it untill last week when it got nice and warm. my intintions was to leave it off for the summer but after a mile or 2, i turned around , went and put it back on. my helmet lifted off my head and the wind noise was so bad i thought my ear drums would bust. it aint coming off again, yea im a wimp.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Full-face will help as it will streamline your head,also the reduced noise will lessen fatigue. But no matter what you try don't forget @ 70 mph wind is considered hurricane force, so it is normal ofr you to feel some strain!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:04 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A windshield makes a big difference, I have not found a half helmet that I like wearing at highway speeds, and if it has a visor on it just makes it worse.

Quick Reply: This bike kicks my @ss on the freeway