Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This bike kicks my @ss on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe before you run out and buy a windshield like everybody else try a full face helmet. It is possible to get used to riding without a windshield.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:26 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a Harley Half helmet try using a small face shield, harley sells them for all thier half helmets, it is amazing the difference in the buffeting, watering eyes and the noise differences, a pleasure to use,

Old 05-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

I've never used a windshield. . . don't intend to. I'm 53 and the wind doesn't tire me that much so far.

I think helmet fit is important. I have a Harley half-shell that could fit better; I have to cinch it all the way down for it to work at higher speeds, but it does. If I'm going to be on the highway for miles and miles I take the Harley full-face and just realize I have to be more vigilant and turn my head and look a lot (there's quite a bit of difference in visibility).

What got me when I first had this Fat Bob was strong crosswinds. Scared the heck out of me doing a curve at 65 with a strong crosswind trying to blow me down. The solid wheels and the saddlebags seem to present the difficulties. I've never had the same sort of "unstable" feeling in crosswinds on previous bikes. Luckily installing the True-Track and the Superbrace have helped these problems considerably; I don't feel as if I'm losing control now. Whew! That was money well-spent.

Most annoying in a personal way is when you wear a shirt or jacket with collars . . . that start humming-bird-winging your neck or the side of your face. OUCH!

Last edited by Robert Le Gras; 05-03-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

Also: experiment with handlebar position to get yourself into a pretty "straight up and down" position. This may seem counter-intuitive, but I find that if you have the right bars "dangling the right angling" and your spine is straight and your eyes level to the road your body fares better in the wind. (Okay, what I ought to say is "my body fares better in the wind." I haven't worn anyone else's!)

Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

ive had a couple days like this before....i think it only happens when i am riding into the wind though

Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 PM
jimbobob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pablo22
Try doin some Push-ups!
Only 1200 miles....put some more miles on and you'll get used to it. I always have knots and soreness at the start of a riding season...pain goes away, windshields look goofy on anything but a FL. IMO.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Portugoose
Advanced

Maybe consider a neck brace...this one is pretty expensive:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...eck-Brace.aspx

Old 05-07-2009, 03:45 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Le Gras
Also: experiment with handlebar position to get yourself into a pretty "straight up and down" position. This may seem counter-intuitive, but I find that if you have the right bars "dangling the right angling" and your spine is straight and your eyes level to the road your body fares better in the wind. (Okay, what I ought to say is "my body fares better in the wind." I haven't worn anyone else's!)
I'd have to agree with this post. My neck and shoulders used to kill me when riding on the highways or for long distance. I changed out my bars to some Wild1 Chubby's which are wider and pull back more than the stock bars and the ride is SO much more comfortable.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:15 AM
creekhed1
Road Master

Or do as I did and get a windvest...see my Sig Pic

Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Windvest + driver's backrest + earplugs = a joy to ride on the freeway. If you've never tried earplugs, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

I got my backrest from Protac, and it's totally changed my opinion of the superslab

Quick Reply: This bike kicks my @ss on the freeway