Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This bike kicks my @ss on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 PM
foxhd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list. Wind noise drives me crazy. I do well with a detachable windshield and a half helmet. If I remove the windshield, I need to wear my full helmet for any comfort. And that doesn't happen much in the summer.....One thing I notice, is that the windshield bounces me around at hiway speeds...But as previously stated, it is approaching hurricane speed wind.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:21 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser

I am in the same boat. '09 FXD with a 1/2 helmet and visor. It is great around town but the wind kicks my a$$. I had a 3/4 helmet with visor and it was alot better.A friend said most of the fatigue is due to wind and recommends a windshield. I am thinking quick detachable. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 54. Have a neck with prior surgery and hardware. Said I'd NEVER have a windshield. Got a Quick Detach. Have never detached it (x-cept to clean) and prolly never will. Still ain't a Street Glide on the highway though.

IMHO, everyone needs 2 bikes... A Dyna and a Bagger.

Last edited by Topspin; 05-02-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: can't type worth a s**t.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Chuck57105
6th Gear

I have experienced everything mentioned living in South Dakota where it's windy as hell and the speed limit is 75 on the interstate. The detachable windshield is a must for me. The only other suggestion is earplugs. With my 1/2 helmet, the earplugs helped me a ton in eliminating the wind noise.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Try doin some Push-ups!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
08FXDC
Road Master

quick detach windshield makes a huge difference..

I think it also has somethin to do with the bar width on the custom's... They seem to hold you arms out alot further...

Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a Vrod today with no windshield. I wore a half-helmet and quickly brought the bike up to highway speed, she had some power. My helmet tried to pull my head off! Not back, off my head, it went straight upwards like an airplane wing lifts. Naturally I had to increase speed because it was a test ride and did I mention the power? I can image what I looked like half choked to death with an ear to ear grin on my face.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

This isn't meant to be a cut down... keep ridin' you'll toughen up the more & longer you're in the saddle. Try a 3/4 helmet they tend to not catch the wind as much as a 1/2 if that is an issue. Position your handle bars so you're sitting straight up & not leaning back at all.

Or ditch the helmet if you can. I did a ride from Phx. to San Fransisco/Oakland in about 18 hrs. Az. is a helmet free state & I never where one. When I crossed into Ca. it was a major shock to my neck muscles & that was with an ACC carbon fiber lid.

Coming back to Az. a couple days later I rejoiced when I crossed Hoover Dam from Nevada back into the free state of Arizona & was able to take that cursed thing off!!!!!!!

Also if you can't tolerate the wind noise at hiway speeds where ear plugs they work great.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just my 2c, but before you go sticking a windshield on it, try a different helmet...I was wearing an HJC FS2...kind of a cross between a 3/4 and 1/2, and it was sheer hell on the highway. Now I wear a Vega halfshell and it's great at any speed on the highway.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
Or get an ACC carbon fiber helmet. It will stop the wind pulling your head and neck at high speeds.
+1 On the ACC carbon fiber/Kevlar helmet…… I had a Bell Drifter half helmet at first and that thing almost ripped my head off.
I also agree with the poster suggesting to build up your tolerance. I couldn’t believe the wind when I first started back riding last year, but I’ve gotten far more used to it. The new helmet really helped.

Quick Reply: This bike kicks my @ss on the freeway