Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This bike kicks my @ss on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:12 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a full face helmet. I recently got one and I wish I had done it sooner. I also have a HD qd windshield and I have tried every way imaginable to use it and I fkn hate it. A total waste of $300.00+ IMHO a total POS

Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,330 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by OdiousBarbarian
it is the wind at 70+ MPH hitting your head and chest that are wearing you down.

more or less, the only way to block the wind is a... windshield
Ditto...a windshield.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:21 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Or get an ACC carbon fiber helmet. It will stop the wind pulling your head and neck at high speeds.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For ****s and giggles this afternoon, I took my windshield off before we went for a 40 mile ride. Never again, especially after riding 50mph into a headwind for a few miles. It just plain sucked. It's very fatiguing.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 PM
BoozerHi
Cruiser

Ditch the helmet, get a big breasted hardbody perched upon your pillon, lean back and see how much the wind bothers you then.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:13 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

883 Iron
I have both a detachable windshield and a windvest since I purchased the windvest I have
removed the brackets for the detachable windshield, The wind vest relieves most of the wind pressure on my chest and I am no where as fatigued as I had been after along ride
I still get wind noise with a half helmet. At 60 + miles an hour and a head wind of 15-25
mph, there is really no fight with the bike just wind noise. I partially solved this with a bandanna or do-rag. It may take a couple of things to be done to find your comfortzone
good Luck
Carl

Old 05-02-2009, 07:27 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

I put a small Tombstone windshield on my NT and it's perfect. Knocks the wind of my chest and head. Not as good as a batwing but still pretty good. Got it through Drag Specialties. The Windvest shield is nicer but also around $300 more.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 PM
lucy brown
Cruiser

I posted a thread like this about a week ago called Fat Bob gonna need a windshield. I just picked up my Fat Bob, around town the the fxdf was a joy to ride but when I got on the highway I was shocked to find how bad I got beat up. Half helmet riding up on me, wind noise was ridiculous, pounded in the legs and chest by the wind. All the replies were similar. Get a windshield and use a full face helmet. Havent had a chance to do either but I feel your pain. Dont like the way the bike looks with glass and hate full face helmets but I think it's the only solution othe than not to ride on the freeway. Good luck pal.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:35 PM
roadking53
Tourer

Hell, yeah. Get a windshield. I'm 56 and the same thing goes for me without one. Neck strain , and nasty, too. Put mine on my Streetbob and it makes a world of difference. I have an HD detachable.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:46 PM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

I swore I'd never put a winshield on my dyna but it got to the point that I didn't want to ride it on the highway at anything above 50 and I was missing all the speed that it get from cruising the interstate doing 80-90 + mph on a slammed dyna. After going round and round I finally broke down and bought a windvest about a year ago. It's small, well made and provides a nice sweet spot without making your bike look like s**t. I took a 400 mile ride a couple of weeks ago and did great. I normally don't ride the dyna that far but it sure was a fantastic way to spend a Saturday.

Quick Reply: This bike kicks my @ss on the freeway