Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Controls Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Mid Controls Dilemma

So far I haven't run into anyone with this probem. And believe me, I asked all over. I'm 5' 9" with a 30" inseam. I own a 2008 FXDL with mid controls. The problem is that I'm not very comfortable with how far back my feet are with the mids. To add to that, forward controls seem to be too far out for me. The perfect scenerio would be if I can figure out how to move those mids 3 to 4 inches forward. Even if forward controls worked for me, I think I'd prefer mids (or modified mids rather) because it allows me to be more agressive diving into turns. I use my highway pegs when I can but when I'm whipping around I feel more comfortable with my feet near the controls.

Someone suggested going with a Tall Boy seat. It would only bring me back about 1.75 inches but would also raise me 2 inches or more. Can't do that.

So my question is. Does anyone else have this problem, Or, does anyone know if moving my mid controls forward 3 to 4" is possible? I looked all over for kits but couldn't find anything. Can a custom shop do it without making it look cheesy?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Buzz

Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam as well. Both bikes I have had I made sure they had forward controls, they are more comfortable for me. I have seen extended shifters however most are used with floorboards. Maybe you want to check a company called Softbrake, they are online. I have never tried their products just checked out their site.

Good luck and happy riding.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 PM
critter_catcher74
Advanced

I just went with forward controls and a LePera Silhouette up front seat. I can reach the controls comfortably and stop flat footed.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some guys have done floorboards on Dynas. Might be an option for you....

Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 PM
harley_rob
Cruiser

I recently put the forwards on my FXDL, and I can't believe it took me as long as it did. I'm no expert, so I'm just telling ya how it worked for me personally. It made it a million times better. Hasn't made me lighten up on any curves that I've noticed and you'll get used to it. Forwards are so much more comfortable to me as well. When you're installing the kit, just be sure to adjust the controls so you aren't struggling to get to 'em, and you'll be fine.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 AM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are plenty tall for foward controls. Dump the mid controls. Make sure your seat doesn't move you back - change it if need be. Try different seats at a HD dealer and/or sit on your friend's motorcycles.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 AM
galaxiedriver
Advanced

My problem with the mids is that I'm kinda old and with my legs all kinked up I get cramps in my hip joints. Ain't fun. I'm going with forwards soon. They should make forwards standard equipment and the mids optional?

Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Don51
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by galaxiedriver
My problem with the mids is that I'm kinda old and with my legs all kinked up I get cramps in my hip joints. Ain't fun. I'm going with forwards soon. They should make forwards standard equipment and the mids optional?
I had the same problem as you.....my hips would cramp up on me and I would have to straighten my leg and rest the back of it on the pegs until it went away. I went with the forwards and for me they are very comfortable. They don't show on my sig pic yet, but they are there.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Don51
I had the same problem as you.....my hips would cramp up on me and I would have to straighten my leg and rest the back of it on the pegs until it went away. I went with the forwards and for me they are very comfortable.

30" inseam here and the mids cramped my hips to the point that I couldn't walk after a ride.

Forwards did the trick.

They shouldn't be too far forward for a comfortabfle ride if you are 5'7" or taller.

Sammi

Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seat mod maybe...?

[QUOTE=DynaMightBuzz;4941039]So far I haven't run into anyone with this probem. And believe me, I asked all over. I'm 5' 9" with a 30" inseam. I own a 2008 FXDL with mid controls. The problem is that I'm not very comfortable with how far back my feet are with the mids. To add to that, forward controls seem to be too far out for me. The perfect scenerio would be if I can figure out how to move those mids 3 to 4 inches forward. Even if forward controls worked for me, I think I'd prefer mids (or modified mids rather) because it allows me to be more agressive diving into turns. I use my highway pegs when I can but when I'm whipping around I feel more comfortable with my feet near the controls.

Someone suggested going with a Tall Boy seat. It would only bring me back about 1.75 inches but would also raise me 2 inches or more. Can't do that.

Give Mean City Cycles a call and tell them what you're trying to accomplish with your seating position. They should be able to move you forward as much as 3" with a seat mod to original seat, thus putting you closer to the forward controls. You may even like it better. I like my forwards. They're comfortable and clean up the look of the bike around the motor cases on each side. Give them a try, you might be surprised what they can do for you.

Bart

Quick Reply: Mid Controls Dilemma