Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Controls Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:53 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't have to get forwards if you prefer mids. Take your seat to somewhere that will modify it. Bar Enterprises, C&C, and others just to name a few. The can shave some foam off your seat so that it will sit you back a few inches, without raising you up. They can also replace the foam with something better so the seat will be more comfortable.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:33 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

[quote=Black Bart;4943525]
Originally Posted by DynaMightBuzz
Give Mean City Cycles a call and tell them what you're trying to accomplish with your seating position. They should be able to move you forward as much as 3" with a seat mod to original seat, thus putting you closer to the forward controls. You may even like it better. I like my forwards. They're comfortable and clean up the look of the bike around the motor cases on each side. Give them a try, you might be surprised what they can do for you.

Bart
I called Mean City Cycles on Thursday. They said they can't do anything with the stock '08 FXDL seat....as far as bringing it back a couple of inches that is. As far as being moved more forward, my crotch is already about 3 inches from that tank. I swear that stock seat is more like HDs Reach seat. I noticed today that the stock Super Glide seat sits back a little further....and up about an inch. I may look into that. Thanks

Old 05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lkohan7373
Well I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam as well. Both bikes I have had I made sure they had forward controls, they are more comfortable for me. I have seen extended shifters however most are used with floorboards. Maybe you want to check a company called Softbrake, they are online. I have never tried their products just checked out their site.

Good luck and happy riding.
If I can find a FXDL with forward controls I'll site on the bike and see. So far the most comparable bike with forwards I've been able to sit on has been the Street Bob....and that was a little to far for me. Being that you're the same height and have the same inseam, I guess it should work for me too. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to. I'll also check out that softbrake site. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by critter_catcher74
I just went with forward controls and a LePera Silhouette up front seat. I can reach the controls comfortably and stop flat footed.
I was looking at LePera too. How comfortable is that Silhouette? Good for long rides?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:45 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley_rob
I recently put the forwards on my FXDL, and I can't believe it took me as long as it did. I'm no expert, so I'm just telling ya how it worked for me personally. It made it a million times better. Hasn't made me lighten up on any curves that I've noticed and you'll get used to it. Forwards are so much more comfortable to me as well. When you're installing the kit, just be sure to adjust the controls so you aren't struggling to get to 'em, and you'll be fine.
So you can adjust forwards to be closer? Did you get HD forward controls or Kuryakyn? Looking at them it looks like the Kuyrakyn's are a bit lower than the HDs.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sporty79
You don't have to get forwards if you prefer mids. Take your seat to somewhere that will modify it. Bar Enterprises, C&C, and others just to name a few. The can shave some foam off your seat so that it will sit you back a few inches, without raising you up. They can also replace the foam with something better so the seat will be more comfortable.
Getting the seat modified would be my first choice. It'll be less expensive than forward controls and if that doesn't work it won't be as hard of a hit. Not to mention I definately need the seat to be more comfortable.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to follow up when I bougt my FXD I was looking at the FXDC but the 2 up seat moved me back and it was uncomfortable. So maybe the stock solo seat from an FXD will work for you. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Kanzig
Tourer

Not sure if this would help at all but I found my midcontrols uncomfortable only because of the angle of the shifter and the brake. I ended up lowering the angle of both and that made a world of difference, now they are comfortable for me since I can rest my feet on the pegs naturally and not have them at strange angles to work the controls.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 PM
jimbobob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kanzig
Not sure if this would help at all but I found my midcontrols uncomfortable only because of the angle of the shifter and the brake. I ended up lowering the angle of both and that made a world of difference, now they are comfortable for me since I can rest my feet on the pegs naturally and not have them at strange angles to work the controls.
Good idea!

What about highway pegs? Be able to move your legs around.

Forward controls put too much pressure on my tailbone!

Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 PM
harley_rob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DynaMightBuzz
So you can adjust forwards to be closer? Did you get HD forward controls or Kuryakyn? Looking at them it looks like the Kuyrakyn's are a bit lower than the HDs.

Sorry, I meant adjust the angle of the controls. I got the HD kit, and just had to play with the angle of the shift lever so I could get my foot under it comfortably as well as downshift without having to extend my leg. Worked fine for me. I'm 5'9".

I did notice that the stock seat pushes me up closer to the controls than my corbin. Both work fine. One weird quirk w/ my Corbin seat is that for some reason I get a weird sharp pain down my right leg on longer trips. Doesn't happen to my left leg, so I'm not quite sure what that deal is. Went on a 200 miler last weekend w/ the stock seat and was fine.

Quick Reply: Mid Controls Dilemma