Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputhe Positrac installed: first impressions [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Uquackmeup
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any body know if this can be made to work with a HD oil cooler in place?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM
ehc0720
Tourer

Now I'm no engineer, just a computer geek so I may be way off base here but, wouldn't putting the just the front brace on make the vibrations at the rear of the motor worse. Maybe not to where you would feel it but maybe doing some internal damage to the motor case?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uquackmeup
Any body know if this can be made to work with a HD oil cooler in place?
There is a forum member who installed the cooler with the TT, I think one benefit to the sputhe is that it will accommodate the addition of a cooler a lot better than the TT.
CB

Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Treasure
Man I think that looks like a great set up and I can see the function for sure....I'm going to get one but.....why the H**l don't they make a black anodize one that does not stick out like a sore thumb....this product could be soo much better with a little better look.

I hope they hear me and do an upgrade black one
Nothing a little paint couldn't take care of.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:32 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats Gary. I was hoping you wouldn't have a replay of the TT install.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, final ride report. I put about 115 miles today on my bike. Rode up to Lake Lure. Anyone who's ever ridden Hwy 9 to Lake Lure knows how the last 3 or 4 miles as you are going around the lake itself and into the town of Lake Lure is nothing but endless tight S curves and switch backs. I've ridden it enough times to know what my bike's "rhythm" is and as long as I don't have a car or some biker who doesn't know his bike in front of me I can pick my pace and negotiate every curve and switchback without ever having to touch the brakes. Today I was able to do the same thing, but at about 10 mph faster than ever before. The bike with the Positrac front stabilizer is just easier to ride and easier to turn. Again, more "sure-footed" is the best way to describe it.

The real test, however, came at the beginning of the ride when I was getting onto I-26. I posted before about this long sweeping entrance ramp and how I'd felt "the wobble" that one time I was trying to out-accelerate a Toyota to get onto the Interstate. Today when I pulled up to the stop light, I was once again in the outside lane meaning I'd have to accelerate past the car or cars in the inside lane or risk running out of road where the entrance ramp narrows down to one lane. The car next to me in the inside lane? A pristine white C5 Corvette. I knew it would not take much prodding for the Vette to want to play on the entrance ramp, so when the light turned green I took off--not really gunning it, but not slow, either. As I expected, the Vette was right with me. When I hit 3rd at about 40 mph I nailed the throttle. By then we were well into the sweeping curve and I was leaning over pretty good. Next time I glanced down at the speedo was when I shifted into 5th at about 92 mph. By then the Vette had backed off and I easily zipped onto the Interstate. But the bike was rock solid with the hammer down in that long sweeping turn. No wobble, no nothing. I picked my line and the bike stuck to it from 40 mph to 90+mph.

Bottom line: The front stabilizer by itself makes a difference. More than enough difference for me. Today's ride was the most enjoyable yet, not only because the bike handles better, but because the Positrac has significantly reduced the vibes at lower rpms.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:21 PM
yso191
Club Member

Excellent reporting Gary: useful, understandable information. I'm sold.

Steve

Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Newhawk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gary7
Okay, final ride report. I put about 115 miles today on my bike. Rode up to Lake Lure. Anyone who's ever ridden Hwy 9 to Lake Lure knows how the last 3 or 4 miles as you are going around the lake itself and into the town of Lake Lure is nothing but endless tight S curves and switch backs. I've ridden it enough times to know what my bike's "rhythm" is and as long as I don't have a car or some biker who doesn't know his bike in front of me I can pick my pace and negotiate every curve and switchback without ever having to touch the brakes. Today I was able to do the same thing, but at about 10 mph faster than ever before. The bike with the Positrac front stabilizer is just easier to ride and easier to turn. Again, more "sure-footed" is the best way to describe it.

The real test, however, came at the beginning of the ride when I was getting onto I-26. I posted before about this long sweeping entrance ramp and how I'd felt "the wobble" that one time I was trying to out-accelerate a Toyota to get onto the Interstate. Today when I pulled up to the stop light, I was once again in the outside lane meaning I'd have to accelerate past the car or cars in the inside lane or risk running out of road where the entrance ramp narrows down to one lane. The car next to me in the inside lane? A pristine white C5 Corvette. I knew it would not take much prodding for the Vette to want to play on the entrance ramp, so when the light turned green I took off--not really gunning it, but not slow, either. As I expected, the Vette was right with me. When I hit 3rd at about 40 mph I nailed the throttle. By then we were well into the sweeping curve and I was leaning over pretty good. Next time I glanced down at the speedo was when I shifted into 5th at about 92 mph. By then the Vette had backed off and I easily zipped onto the Interstate. But the bike was rock solid with the hammer down in that long sweeping turn. No wobble, no nothing. I picked my line and the bike stuck to it from 40 mph to 90+mph.

Bottom line: The front stabilizer by itself makes a difference. More than enough difference for me. Today's ride was the most enjoyable yet, not only because the bike handles better, but because the Positrac has significantly reduced the vibes at lower rpms.
It is amazing how different the bike tracks after the installation of the positrac/TT setup. Even though the front isolattor seems to cover the handleing issues, adding the rear only adds to that feeling.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
scrane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Treasure
Man I think that looks like a great set up and I can see the function for sure....I'm going to get one but.....why the H**l don't they make a black anodize one that does not stick out like a sore thumb....this product could be soo much better with a little better look.

I hope they hear me and do an upgrade black one
Many people with Harleys are obcessed with making useless parts shiney. I think its nice to highlight a real upgrade to the system.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is for uquackmeup ! yes you can add the TT or the Sputhe I'm sure with the HD oil cooler! For the TT I had to Fab up a new mounting bracket same shape but longer mounting tail to get the oil cooler above the TT! only have about 300 mile on the bike w/ the cooler but all seems well!
Russ