Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputhe Positrac installed: first impressions [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtnlvr
Glad you got it installed with no issues. Now imagine if you had the whole product...
I'm satisfied. And to be honest, I can't imagine how the addition of the rear could improve upon this.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
MNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary, it looks like you installed it in reverse compared to the photo on their site. Did they say it made no difference?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MNrider
Gary, it looks like you installed it in reverse compared to the photo on their site. Did they say it made no difference?
Read this post.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I'm sure the product works just fine, just as the TT does.

But, I must say, it looks a bit flimsy compared to the TT. Less noticeable, I suppose, but not as beefy looking.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
I'm sure the product works just fine, just as the TT does.

But, I must say, it looks a bit flimsy compared to the TT. Less noticeable, I suppose, but not as beefy looking.
It looks a lot better than the TT, IMO. It actually looks like it may have come from the factory this way--very similar in appearance to the front stabilizer on the FXR. The TT, on the other hand, definitely looks like an aftermarket add-on part.

BTW, the 1/4" steel frame bracket on the Positrac is not flimsy. But the part where flex could completely negate the lateral stabilization is machined from a solid block of aluminum, just like the TT. That's the block that connects the heim joint to the engine side of the motor mount.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Treasure
Advanced

Man I think that looks like a great set up and I can see the function for sure....I'm going to get one but.....why the H**l don't they make a black anodize one that does not stick out like a sore thumb....this product could be soo much better with a little better look.

I hope they hear me and do an upgrade black one

Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i have had the sputhe positrac installed for two months now..how many miles.??h@@l i dk...alot...but i will add i removed my rear helm joint just to see what it would do..it works without it..BUT..it doesnt work as well..it is so much better with the whole package...my bike feels like its on rails....we were on a ride the other day and another rider came over to me and asked what i done to the twin cam to make it go like that..he had a street bob...i said nothing to the motor.i showed him the sputhe...all he said was "does that thing really work"..just laughed and said ..You tell me dude....the rear stabilizer does matter.....

Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
i have had the sputhe positrac installed for two months now..how many miles.??h@@l i dk...alot...but i will add i removed my rear helm joint just to see what it would do..it works without it..BUT..it doesnt work as well..it is so much better with the whole package...my bike feels like its on rails....we were on a ride the other day and another rider came over to me and asked what i done to the twin cam to make it go like that..he had a street bob...i said nothing to the motor.i showed him the sputhe...all he said was "does that thing really work"..just laughed and said ..You tell me dude....the rear stabilizer does matter.....
I have no doubt that for the type riding you were doing with the other "dude," the rear stabilizer does matter. As I've said many times, I think you can get 90% effectiveness with either the front or rear stabilizers. But for riders who really push their bikes, who like to take corners at 10/10 ths, that extra 10% matters. Those riders need both.

For the rest of us, the bike is just fine in stock mode. And if we want a little more sure-footedness, then the front stabilizer is more than enough.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 AM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it as easy to install as it looks? It looks like it wouldn't take more than 45 minutes or so for an average joe to get that on. Correct?

My 05 is starting to get a little more flexy, which I imagine has to do with the isolators starting to wear. This looks like it could resolve that issue permanently.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OrangeTJ
Is it as easy to install as it looks? It looks like it wouldn't take more than 45 minutes or so for an average joe to get that on. Correct?

My 05 is starting to get a little more flexy, which I imagine has to do with the isolators starting to wear. This looks like it could resolve that issue permanently.
Very easy to install. Just make sure you support the engine with a jack. And the jack has to be manipulated once you loosen the bolts on the isolator because the engine will sag once the bolts are loosened. Also, the frame side bracket needs to be installed one bolt at a time. DO NOT remove both frame side bolts even if you have the motor supported on the jack. Remove one, put the Sputhe bracket on with its new bolt, then snug. Remove the other bolt, then rotate the Sputhe bracket so the other hole in the bracket lines up with the hole in the frame and mount and insert the new bolt. Also, it's best to completely remove the heim joint when installing the front bracket and the block that mounts to the engine side of the isolator. Once you've got those two pieces mounted and snugged down (don't overtighten), adjust the length of the heim joint so that it bolts easily to the bracket and block. Then snug down the bolts holding the heim joint, recheck the play on the joint, and then tighten the lock nuts on the joint. Total install time: 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Sputhe Positrac installed: first impressions [pics]