Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI- retrofitting automatic primary chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 AM
tree88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry FYI- retrofitting automatic primary chain tensioner

The harley davidson automatic primary chain tensioner (part number 40063-05A) may cause starter drive failure when retrofitted to earlier bikes. The reason is that it may adjust the chain too tight, and prevent the starter from engaging the flywheel properly. I have gone through 4 starter drives (and clutch baskets) If you have a harley-davidson extended warranty, and retrofit the harley-davidson automatic primary chain tensioner, they will not authorize any work to be performed on the primary of your bike (even if it was installed by a harley-davidson dealer!). just thought I would put that out there, as I am now stuck with a bike that will not start, and evidently, no warranty.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,795 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Is that from H-D or the dealer, ask for the memo/bulletin. I don't understand why a H-D dealer won't honor it's part and dealers work. I have the Hayden M6 tensioner on my 02 and 05 Dynas. They keep the chain at the proper tension and with the spring tension setup it allows the chain to move as required during operation. Go to HaydenM6.com for info and the service is super. The H-D tensioner will only allow the chain to keep tightening and won't allow any verticle movement.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tree,

What year scoot do you have?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tree88
The harley davidson automatic primary chain tensioner (part number 40063-05A) may cause starter drive failure when retrofitted to earlier bikes. The reason is that it may adjust the chain too tight, and prevent the starter from engaging the flywheel properly. I have gone through 4 starter drives (and clutch baskets) If you have a harley-davidson extended warranty, and retrofit the harley-davidson automatic primary chain tensioner, they will not authorize any work to be performed on the primary of your bike (even if it was installed by a harley-davidson dealer!). just thought I would put that out there, as I am now stuck with a bike that will not start, and evidently, no warranty.
Sorry, I have a hard time believing that. You would have to bend the friggin shafts for that to occur. Some other alignment issue going on here.
Ron

Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Harley sell's that part "for retrofitting to bikes w/o. I must agree with other's. Sound's like the tech trying to find the problem is using that as a reason to drop the problem in your lap!

Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
tree88
Road Captain
Exclamation my bike is a 2003

every time (without fail) the engine hiccups a little... even with the compression releases in, it breaks teeth off the starter drive gear, and then messes up the clutch basket. I would not even call it a real kick back. if it tries to start (fires, enough to speed up the starter slightly, but not quite enough to actually get it running- happens most often when cold outside) it destroys the drive and eventually the basket too. Right now it is sitting in my garage, i plan on taking photos on the teardown, as i am not totally convinced that (the tensioner) is my problem. as for the warranty issue, the "gentleman" (note sarcasm) i spoke with at extended warranty's name is Larry- he can be reached at 1-800-527-7665 ext444. If you don't believe me give him a call... i'm sure he will be happy to be a total jerk to you too....lol.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tree88
every time (without fail) the engine hiccups a little... even with the compression releases in, it breaks teeth off the starter drive gear, and then messes up the clutch basket. I would not even call it a real kick back. if it tries to start (fires, enough to speed up the starter slightly, but not quite enough to actually get it running- happens most often when cold outside) it destroys the drive and eventually the basket too. Right now it is sitting in my garage, i plan on taking photos on the teardown, as i am not totally convinced that (the tensioner) is my problem. as for the warranty issue, the "gentleman" (note sarcasm) i spoke with at extended warranty's name is Larry- he can be reached at 1-800-527-7665 ext444. If you don't believe me give him a call... i'm sure he will be happy to be a total jerk to you too....lol.
An "extended warranty" is not really a warranty at all: it's an insurance policy, and as such the insurer can deny coverage for anything they like. There is no recourse under the law, except possibly under contract law in a civil action.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like your getting phucked by extended warranty company. Unless Harley has a service bulletin to the effect of what he is stating. I upgraded mine on my 05 and not a single problem with over 10K since the change.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:27 PM
MCT
Advanced

I noted you indicated 'compression releases'. Obviously not a stock bike, what kind of mods to the engine? Sounds like the starter is having a hard time turning the bike over and the auto tensioner is just a side note. Then you get a hard kick back and your parts breakage start. Good luck with your problem, though.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,795 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Did all this start after the engine mod? What all was done and was it put together correctly? Have you pulled the plugs and spun the motor by hand? Something is preventing the motor from spinning. It's not the chain or adjuster.

Quick Reply: FYI- retrofitting automatic primary chain tensioner