Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Street Bob - Tell me the Good, Bad, & the Ugly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 07:17 AM
georgiabiker
|
Road Captain
Default 06 Street Bob - Tell me the Good, Bad, & the Ugly?

I have been riding, servicing and modifying a 06 Sportster 1200 Custom for the last 3 years and know it like the back of my hand. Old lady is only 95 pounds and 4'11" so we fit the Sportster just fine. I don't know squat about the Dynas but saw a Street Bob that fit my budget okay.

Looking at trading in for a 2006 Street Bob that is in pristine condition with 10k miles. So far I know it has the 6-speed tranny, 88 CI engine, and is fuel injected.

Any problems with the Street Bobs?

How does it ride compared to a 1200 Custom?

Any other info?

Old 04-23-2009 | 07:43 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

The good: Great bike! Or maybe its juss cause I have one..

The bad: Stators go out early. Mine went out at 15k miles. Had that, and voltage regulator replaced with 2 weeks left on my warranty. If I hadn't had that done, I would have had to pay $1,000 for the repairs. F that! lol.. early model dyna's have had problems with the inner primary bearings. Umm... thats all that I can think of at the moment.

Old 04-23-2009 | 11:09 AM
JHeiss
Stage II
Default New to Forum, New to Dyna Street Bobs

This is my first time posting. I have just recently purchased an 06 Streetbob. So far I have only put about 500 miles on it and have really enjoyed it. It is completely stock right now but hopefully that doesnt last long. I am also interested to hear from other Street Bob owners about their experiences with the bike....

What are some cost effective upgrades you have made? What are some issues i should be looking out for?

Old 04-23-2009 | 11:20 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

inner primary bearing, front end clunk, stator, thats all that i know of for some of the 06' dynas...i would reccomend an 07 or newer dyna...but remember all bikes will have some issue sooner or later..only issue ive had with my 07 is a low idle when coming to a stop from riding...might be my crank positioner sensor. and i have a extremely slow leak from the shaft seal on the back of the primary...

Old 04-23-2009 | 12:01 PM
JRK5892
Banned

i have an 06... love it! LOVE IT!!!!, what is said above, front end clunk, injector issue, primary bearing, and some stator issues... not all of them have this issue... and all of them are covered by MoCo.. you just need to run the vin to see if they where done. if not, if one goes out they will cover it.
i love the 06... personally i like the 88 over the 96 any day... but that is my opinion, mainly for the cost of the performance mod parts for the motor... kind of like alot of guys like the EVO over the 88... hell i love the EVO too!!!
all in all, i woudl say hop at it man! awesome scoot!

Old 04-23-2009 | 12:55 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain

A story, my wife tired of her Buell powered Hugger and bought an 06 Bob, first ride complained about a loud noise when turning right --in the twisty's, a quick check, =scraped pipes---nuf said.

Old 04-23-2009 | 01:06 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

I have an 07 with the 96ci yea i know its a different motor, but the thing seems rock solid too me as for know, we'll have to see since the riding season just started, but I have been riding it a lot..This in all honesty is one of my dream bikes and wanted one ever since they came out..But how much are they asking for the Bob? In all honesty I might look around even more you could probably find one with even less miles as well, other then that

Street Bob = FTW "For The Win "

Old 04-23-2009 | 02:05 PM
sporty79
Tourer

As the others have mentioned there were some problems early on with the 06 models.

1. Early models had 8 degree fuel injectors. This caused a problem with rough idle and sputtering off the line. Later models used 25 degree injectors. If this particular bike has the 8 degree injectors, Harley will replace them.

2. Inner primary bearing failure (IPB). There was an issue with premature failure of the IPB. At first, Harley issued a letter to all 06 buyers saying they would replace the IPB for free every 15,000 miles. They later issued another letter saying this was no longer necessary. My 06 was manufactured in June 06 (near the end of the model year), and I've not had this problem yet (19,xxx miles), but I'm keeping a copy of this letter just in case.

3. The bolts in the stator may back out, causing destructive failure of the stator. You'll know this happens when the charging system stops working and you hear loud noises coming from the primary. The 07+ models have a unit that is welded instead of bolted, and that unit will fit the 06 models. Again, it is something that Harley should cover, but I've not had that problem either.

Those seem to be the most common issues for the 06 models. As stated, I have an 06 and I love it. I've not had any issues for almost 20,000 miles (knock on wood). If you can get a good deal, go for it.

Old 05-03-2009 | 04:00 PM
joe297
Tourer

Mine is an 06 1/2 Street Bob that I bought new in '06 (mfg Feb '06). No recalls and no problems after 17000 miles aside from normal wear (2 back tires, 1 front).

I'd have no problems buying an early '06 as long as the recalls were done - or if the dealer would still perform them free. Get the serial # and ask your dealer.

Old 05-04-2009 | 01:41 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
From: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

Have an '06 Wide. Taking it in tomorrow morning for the 2nd go-'round on the Inner Primary Bearing issue...3.9K-mi, now 12.5K-mi.

Quick Reply: 06 Street Bob - Tell me the Good, Bad, & the Ugly?