Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bone headed mistake, out of commission for a few days.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 10:24 PM
Splatter
Road Master

My embarassing move came when I relocated my turn signals to the rear fender with the laydown license plate kit. Got it all nice and done, ready for the test drive and as I swung my leg over the bike to get on, I kicked the left turn signal clean off. It snapped the threaded part off the horizontal rod that holds the signals. They don't sell that part separately. $60 tuition to Harley University to learn that lesson. But that's not the embarassing part. I got another kit just to get the bar, fixed it up, c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y test rode it -- everything's fine. Next morning, mounting up to go to work; kick the signal off again. My tuition is now $120. But that's not the embarassing part... yup, did it a third time. Any time I go near the parts counter at the dealer the guys ask if I need a new laydown kit.

Old 04-23-2009 | 11:57 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Splatter
My embarassing move came when I relocated my turn signals to the rear fender with the laydown license plate kit. Got it all nice and done, ready for the test drive and as I swung my leg over the bike to get on, I kicked the left turn signal clean off. It snapped the threaded part off the horizontal rod that holds the signals. They don't sell that part separately. $60 tuition to Harley University to learn that lesson. But that's not the embarassing part. I got another kit just to get the bar, fixed it up, c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y test rode it -- everything's fine. Next morning, mounting up to go to work; kick the signal off again. My tuition is now $120. But that's not the embarassing part... yup, did it a third time. Any time I go near the parts counter at the dealer the guys ask if I need a new laydown kit.
Bro

You need one of these turn signal mounts ... you won't kick it off (and it looks better) ...

R/
Priest

Old 04-24-2009 | 01:56 AM
yso191
Club Member

Wow that seemed funny last night...

Last edited by yso191; 04-24-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2009 | 08:21 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Hey Splatter - tell me by now you just laugh at it...

Old 04-24-2009 | 10:38 AM
Splatter
Road Master

Originally Posted by Priest
Bro

You need one of these turn signal mounts ... you won't kick it off (and it looks better) ...
Nice. Before I bought the third kit I did a pretty extensive search for alternate mounts and came up empty. What mount is that?

Baeseman1 -- yeah I laugh about it. But people get uncomfortable about the look in my eyes when I do it. (Actually, I put a sissy bar on the back just to prevent me from doing the swing-over mount.)

Old 04-24-2009 | 12:01 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Was drilling a hole in the swingarm on a Yamaha once and the drill trigger was locked on and I slipped and drilled a hole in the sidewall of the rear tire.
Freakin' hilarious...just about spit my lunch out.

Old 04-24-2009 | 12:18 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member

Adding some Bar-end LED turn signals...test them to see if I need to install a resistor; no, they work fine. I had previously stripped the nose hair thin wire and had them bare...apparently they touched the wrong connectors. No turn signals nor LED tailight. I'm thinking I just blew the brand new tailight and I was going to have to spend another $250. Decided to go ride the other cycle. Next day...hmmm, Dad always said, "...try the simple things first." Changed out a blown fuse and the turn signals and tailight worked...what an idiot.

Old 04-24-2009 | 12:37 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

6 inch 1/4 inch hose and clamps on both ends, 2 dollar fix. fuel pressure from pump is not a problem. use as permanent replacement or use until your part arrives, eitherway it gets you on the road so dont knock it or tell me it doesnt work or some bull crap.

Old 04-24-2009 | 12:48 PM
r00k
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JosephGarcia
6 inch 1/4 inch hose and clamps on both ends, 2 dollar fix. fuel pressure from pump is not a problem. use as permanent replacement or use until your part arrives, eitherway it gets you on the road so dont knock it or tell me it doesnt work or some bull crap.
Yeah, I had thought about doing that but then I was able to get the part from a forum member.

So I was only down for 2 days.

Old 04-24-2009 | 12:51 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Splatter
Nice. Before I bought the third kit I did a pretty extensive search for alternate mounts and came up empty. What mount is that?
It's the one that comes stock on the Softail Deluxe ... P/N 68615-04 "Bullet Chrome Directional Bar Kit (Domestic) ... fits 1999 and later Domestic Touring and FLSTC/I models ..." and Dynas, by the way ....

I got it from Zanotti or Chicago HD (forget which, now) for about $120.

Although others have done extensive reworking of the surface of the fender so it matches the 'indentations' on the FLSTN fender, I just drilled two holes to screw it down and filed two narrow grooves on the inner face of my taillamp assembly and ran the wires up through them. Works like a champ and looks great.

R/
Priest

Quick Reply: Bone headed mistake, out of commission for a few days.