Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bone headed mistake, out of commission for a few days.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009 | 08:04 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

anyone ever confuse ft/in with ft/lbs? .....that's always fun when you realize you've cranked something down 15-20 ft/lbs instead of 15-20 ft/in.

=-l

Old 04-22-2009 | 08:13 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Default Just fix it.

Originally Posted by r00k
So yesterday I was working on swapping my bars to an internally wired set. When I unbolted and slid the tank back I forgot to disconnect the fuel feed from the bottom of the tank. When I started to slide the tank back I felt some resistance but thought it was just the mounts binding on the back bone...

Thought that until my leg started getting a little wet, wound up snapping the Fuel Line quick connect to the breather. So today I went to my parts guy with my head hung low looking to see if he had the part (62349-04F), no dice turns out the only place that has it is about 2 hours away in Orange, VA.

So on friday I have a journey to make to pick up a $43 part so I can be mobile again. I could have them ship the part to me but then I wouldn't have it until mid week next week, and I would rather not do that.

So since I feel like an idiot, I was wondering what's the worst mistake you any of you guys have made while doing an other wise simple job?
I did the same thing except I was just lifting it and it slid back. I just fixed it though, see here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4672625-post5.html
and its still working fine.
CB

Old 04-22-2009 | 08:17 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain

Many Moons ago I`d been over at our Clubhouse all Smoked Up, Pilled Up, and mostly Drunked Up. Too messed up to start my 'ol 62 Pan so a partner started it for me. They poured me into the seat and set me on my way. First stop sign I came to, I stopped, looked both ways, and fell over. Forgot to put my feet down. Too damn messed up to be embarrassed. Managed to get the bike up, get it started and somehow found home. Man, don`t know how I survived the 60's and 70's......

Old 04-22-2009 | 08:24 PM
madden23
Road Master

Originally Posted by yankeeflyer72
Many Moons ago I`d been over at our Clubhouse all Smoked Up, Pilled Up, and mostly Drunked Up. Too messed up to start my 'ol 62 Pan so a partner started it for me. They poured me into the seat and set me on my way. First stop sign I came to, I stopped, looked both ways, and fell over. Forgot to put my feet down. Too damn messed up to be embarrassed. Managed to get the bike up, get it started and somehow found home. Man, don`t know how I survived the 60's and 70's......
A guardian angel, I can only surmise that's how we survived.

Old 04-22-2009 | 08:29 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by jsbridgew
anyone ever confuse ft/in with ft/lbs? .....that's always fun when you realize you've cranked something down 15-20 ft/lbs instead of 15-20 ft/in.

=-l
You bet. Brand new Kawasaki and I figure I will save a couple of bucks and do the oil change. I figure, I am going to do this thing right, so I pick up a torque wrench from Sears... any how I am tightening it up and if feels like its pretty damn tight, but my wrench hasn't torqued out yet so I keep going. Soon it gets easy to turn. Ended up striping out the aluminum threads 250+ to get the part and a 2-3 week wait on it. That sucks for miss reading torque specs.

Ended up just tapping it out and getting a larger plug, but a lesson well learned. It took me a while to trust my torque wrench again.

Old 04-22-2009 | 08:44 PM
r00k
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I did the same thing except I was just lifting it and it slid back. I just fixed it though, see here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4672625-post5.html
and its still working fine.
CB
Wow, thanks for that link if I find that Dorman part locally tomorrow I'll just do that. If not I'll drop the cash on the harley part. I just need to get back on the road.

Pretty amazing for a tenth of the price.

Best part is the the part is on it's F revision and each time it's increased in price...

Old 04-22-2009 | 09:25 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by madden23
A guardian angel, I can only surmise that's how we survived.
X2.... when I think back, it scares me now, the way it should have then

Old 04-22-2009 | 09:39 PM
Grind
Road Master

The worst I've done (so far) on my Harley is nicking the paint on the front of the tank with a careless wrench while putting in a tank lift and putting a gouge in the rocker box cover with the crossover hose clamp.

Old 04-22-2009 | 10:13 PM
Bobber S
Tourer

missed the front mounting slot when installing the seat and scratched the gas tank on my first bike ... lucky it wasn't the st bob.

Old 04-22-2009 | 11:25 PM
dogcop727
Road Master

wanted to adjust my apes so started to loosen the clamp and before you know it the handlebars dropped and put a nice dent in the left side of my tank. denim black paint does not look good dented.

dogcop

Quick Reply: Bone headed mistake, out of commission for a few days.