Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]

My front Positrac arrived from Sputhe today. As I suggested in my earlier posts regarding the True Track, the Sputhe is a much more elegantly designed and engineered stabilizer than the the True Track. The quality of the heim joint and fasteners appears to be better, too.

It comes in a nifty blister pack:

Old 04-22-2009, 04:20 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

More elegant, a bent metal bracket? I don't want to burst your bubble, it may be more compact, but it looks weaker and the heim joints are definitely not better than those on the TT. Sorry, but it looks cheap too me. If it works, that is what counts though.
CB

Old 04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
INTHERED
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Are you planning on installing just the front mount or do you already have one on the rear ?

inthered

Old 04-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
More elegant, a bent metal bracket? I don't want to burst your bubble, it may be more compact, but it looks weaker and the heim joints are definitely not better than those on the TT. Sorry, but it looks cheap too me. If it works, that is what counts though.
CB
Have you held both in your hands (as I have) and compared them?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by INTHERED
Are you planning on installing just the front mount or do you already have one on the rear ?
Just the front. I believe 90% of the effectiveness of a True Track or Positrac can be had by installing either the front or the rear stabilizer. But as far as I know, True Track won't sell just the front or rear. Sputhe will.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
INTHERED
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If it was me I would have bought the rear one first since thats where most of the swingarm flex originates. Do you buy the front one since it is the easiest to install ?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by INTHERED
If it was me I would have bought the rear one first since thats where most of the swingarm flex originates. Do you buy the front one since it is the easiest to install ?
The rear stabilizer is not going to affect swing arm flex. I think this is a common misconception. The only thing a front and rear stabilizer can do is prevent the engine/transmission/swingarm/rear wheel from moving on a horizontal plane which affects the alignment of the rear wheel with the front wheel. Either a front stabilizer or a rear stabilizer can do this, but I happen to think the front stabilizer is the more effective of the two if you're only going to use one. Buell must have thought so, too, since when he designed the FXR frame he specified a top and front stabilizer, but not one in the rear.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
Have you held both in your hands (as I have) and compared them?
I have seen one on a bike and I am looking at your nicely blister packed unit and all I see is a stamped metal bracket? The TT front bracket is a very solid piece of machined aluminum, no flexing there. The heim joints are the cheaper ones threaded at the joint, which break at the exposed thread, compared to the TT ones that have the adjuster threaded into a solid joint. There is probably not enough stress to break the sputhe joint, but there is no comparison of the two joints.
I think the front bracket will flex without the rear support also installed, I don't think this would be the case for TT front support. There is considerably more stress at the rear in my opinion and without the rear support you will never get the full benefit of the system, especially the Sputhe.
It is your choice and I don't really want to slam anything, I hope it works out for you.
CB

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 04-22-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Looks nice, can you take pics of the install?

Mike

Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
r00k
Road Warrior

I'll be interested to see what happens with this.

Quick Reply: Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]