Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:40 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a good case to add the rear stabilizer.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:44 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
Would you not agree that the amount of deflection is greatly reduced with the addition of the front stabilizer...
Yes. The deflection at the rear wheel will be reduced as the front link will not allow front mount to deflect laterally.

...because now for the drivetrain to pivot around an axis defined by the top and front stabilizer the rear mount not only must deflect on the horizontal, it also has to compress on the vertical?
Not necessarily. The amount of vertical displacement taking place in the rear mount due to lateral deflection from the wheel is minimal. It's a circular path so there will be more sideways displacement and less vertical.

The construction and design of the isolator itself is designed to prevent just this sort of deformation.
I'm guessing that was the intent, but if it functioned that way we wouldn't be putting stabilizer links on.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well put mntlvr. I have been thinking about this and adding just the front would definatly reduce lateral movment . I think that over time the weak point (rear motor mount) now would eventually become noticeable just a matter of time. As for Sputhe selling just one if thats what the customer wants why not! I'm very happy with both of my TT .
Thanks Russ

Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 PM
stix68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the rose joint bolt in the front bracket hit the down tube when under max stress, with the TT we had to reverse the bolt so it would stop hitt'n the frame, looks like the PT has a larger Allen head bolt that would hit either way ya put it, the TT has button head bolts.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stix68
Will the rose joint bolt in the front bracket hit the down tube when under max stress, with the TT we had to reverse the bolt so it would stop hitt'n the frame, looks like the PT has a larger Allen head bolt that would hit either way ya put it, the TT has button head bolts.
I'm not sure what bolt you're talking about. There are no clearance problems on the PT on my bike.

The only issue I had was the two socket head bolts that came with the PT that are for the engine side of the isolator. The bolts are too long to clear the frame tube as far as getting the front bolt insterted into the isolator mount. That's why I just used the existing hex head bolts (which is what you do on the TT since they don't supply new bolts for the engine side). I suspect the reason there is not enough clearance at the frame tube to insert these socket head bolts is because the PT was designed for the pre-05 Dyna frame. Since the down tube on the newer Dyna frame is bigger, the bolt won't clear it enough to insert it into the isolator mount.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
SilverV
Cruiser

Are the stock mounts on your 09 already worn out? I would think this could be an issue for a 140+ hp bike that is seeing serious track duty. But we're talking about an 80 hp 700lb cruiser. Just wondering if this is another case of fixing something that isn't broken? Kind of like changing air filters to increase power.

It seems to me, to reach lean angles strong enough to torque new motormounts into submission would be less of a problem than grinding off your footpegs or muffler as you countersteer through tight corners at sportbike speed. That's the beauty of this sport I guess...anyone can do anything they want. Have fun with your project.

Flamesuit is on.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverV
Are the stock mounts on your 09 already worn out? I would think this could be an issue for a 140+ hp bike that is seeing serious track duty. But we're talking about an 80 hp 700lb cruiser. Just wondering if this is another case of fixing something that isn't broken? Kind of like changing air filters to increase power.

It seems to me, to reach lean angles strong enough to torque new motormounts into submission would be less of a problem than grinding off your footpegs or muffler as you countersteer through tight corners at sportbike speed. That's the beauty of this sport I guess...anyone can do anything they want. Have fun with your project.

Flamesuit is on.
I installed the rear TT stabilizer first, I inspected my rear mount and it was in excellent condition at 14K, the front mount was very worn and sagging. With just the rear installed, it was like a night and day difference on my bike. I then replaced my the front mount and installed the front TT and did not notice much of a difference at all. Even with a worn mount, there was a significant improvement with the installation of the just the rear stabilizer.

I did not need to push my bike to feel the difference, I noticed much better steering input at very low speeds and my bike responds immediately to counter steering at higher speed, which really impressed me about these stabilizers. I have found there is lot less input by me when cornering and is much more stable entering and exiting a corner, I could really benefit from better tires. So in my opinion, it benefits you at all speeds, not just when pushing it in the twisties, at least in my case.

I also feel the the installation of the rear portion of the TT or SPT will increase the life of the rear fork bearings.
CB

Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 AM
scrane
Intermediate

I just installed the front only Positrac on my '07 FXD. When I first got the bike (coming from a Sportster) I was disappointed at its perceived top heaviness, slow handling response, and instability on sweeping curves. I installed a front fork brace that helped, but handling was still cranky.
After installing the front Positrac I find I can easily swerve around potholes at moderate speed. High speed sweepers no longer are squirrly and the bike can maintain a line. On top of that, vibration has been reduced.
I'm sure that the rear Positrac would make things even better, but I am now satisfied with how the thing handles. I'm also confident that the TruTrack is just as good.
The guy across the street has an FXR with a very similar link on the front engine mount. I understand that rubber mount Sportsters also use stabilizers on the engine mounts. I guess we'll never know how many people Harley has killed by mounting its Twincams on unsupported rubber bands .

Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

Interesting thread; obviously a few Dyna riders like to push their bikes a bit in the curvy stuff...and feel there is room for improvement. I went "whole hog" with my T-Sport and broke the bank trying to get as much improvement as was possible out of the dyna chassis. Sputhe mounts were fitted, along with a Sputhe aluminum swingarm. Up front I used an OMD fork brace (Italy). Also lightened up the wheels and rotors (the back wheel and brake disc are a BIG part of the equation; hanging off the end of the tranny as they do). I ended up with a bike that's just over 600lbs with a half tank of fuel, compared to the wife's '08 FXDL at 675lbs. Also, a brother has an '01 FXD with no mods, so both are good comparisons...
Bottom line is a lot of money was spent to outhandle any other big twin HD, but things have to get real tight before there is a dramatic difference. I feel the ride has been improved with the reduction in unsprung weight, and with the 103inch motor, handling improvements were definately required. So many choices available...so little money and time...
I might also add I've ridden a lot of other bikes; BMW, Aprillia and Japanese; stuff that really puts handling expectations high. Only none of them have HD power.

Attached Thumbnails Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]-fork-brace-medium-.jpg   Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]-sputh-and-lyndal.jpg  
Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharkey
Interesting thread; obviously a few Dyna riders like to push their bikes a bit in the curvy stuff...and feel there is room for improvement. I went "whole hog" with my T-Sport and broke the bank trying to get as much improvement as was possible out of the dyna chassis. Sputhe mounts were fitted, along with a Sputhe aluminum swingarm. Up front I used an OMD fork brace (Italy). Also lightened up the wheels and rotors (the back wheel and brake disc are a BIG part of the equation; hanging off the end of the tranny as they do). I ended up with a bike that's just over 600lbs with a half tank of fuel, compared to the wife's '08 FXDL at 675lbs. Also, a brother has an '01 FXD with no mods, so both are good comparisons...
Bottom line is a lot of money was spent to outhandle any other big twin HD, but things have to get real tight before there is a dramatic difference. I feel the ride has been improved with the reduction in unsprung weight, and with the 103inch motor, handling improvements were definately required. So many choices available...so little money and time...
I might also add I've ridden a lot of other bikes; BMW, Aprillia and Japanese; stuff that really puts handling expectations high. Only none of them have HD power.
A little off topic, but what are those mufflers you're running? They look smaller than the stock tapered muffs.

Quick Reply: Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]