Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:45 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
Yes, I'd say the one I got is an updated design. The cost for just the front stabilizer is $180 plus shipping. The part number for just the front stabilizer is 9105.

Buell bikes do have three stabilizers. But long before Eric Buell started making his own bikes he was an engineer at Harley. He was responsible for the FXR chassis and for that bike he specified a top and front stabilizer only.
You sure he specified the front only? Truth could be that Harley 'convinced' him to say he did. Everybody lies. Anyway, a few have reported trying the TT front only. I think they noticed a slight difference, however, things came together when the rear was then installed.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yso191
Very interesting thread. I'll be paying attention, as I want to do this sometime this season with either Sputhe or True-Track.

What would be a really good experiment is to do the front, take it off and install the back, then install both and report on the differences. Do you happen to know how much just the back is?
Probably $180 since the front and back together are $359 and they charged me $180 for just the front.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rounder
You sure he specified the front only? Truth could be that Harley 'convinced' him to say he did. Everybody lies. Anyway, a few have reported trying the TT front only. I think they noticed a slight difference, however, things came together when the rear was then installed.
The ones that have posted on here who have tried just the front have reported more than just a "slight" difference.

As for Eric Buell, I don't know whether he has ever publicly commented on the design of the FXR frame or not. Harley put him in charge of designing the FXR and since it only has two stabilizers, I'm assuming that's the way Buell designed it. If he'd wanted three stabilizers I'm sure it would have three.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess I was paying attention this morning on my way to work. Making a left turn onto the on ramp of the interstate I felt that wishy-washy backend problem we've all dicsussed. My understanding is that the TT or the Posi-trak is supposed to eliminate that, correct?

I wonder how much of that is engine flex and how much is rear suspension.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Newhawk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the feeling you get. I got the TT (front and rear) and it solved that issue.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Newhawk.

Now if I could just buy everything I need (want) right now, I'd be a happy guy. Wouldn't we all?

Ricors, new front springs, TT or PT, new rear springs. An easy $1,000 and then some.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I guess I was paying attention this morning on my way to work. Making a left turn onto the on ramp of the interstate I felt that wishy-washy backend problem we've all dicsussed. My understanding is that the TT or the Posi-trak is supposed to eliminate that, correct?

I wonder how much of that is engine flex and how much is rear suspension.
Given that Harley beefed up the swing arm mounts when they redesigned the Dyna frame in 06, I think most if not all tracking issues associated with driveline flex are coming from the engine being able to rotate ever so slightly on the horizontal plane. When new, the motor mounts themselves are pretty effective at keeping the drivetrain and swingarm assembly in a fixed lateral position relative to the front wheel. As the mounts age, however, I'm convinced handling begins to deterioate because they allow more lateral flex, thus affecting the alignment. The use of either a front or rear stabilizer makes lateral flex of the motor mount a non-issue because it allows for absolutely fixed lateral positioning of the drivetrain and swingarm assembly. With either a front or rear stabilizer installed, the drivetrain and swingarm can no longer move laterally no matter what the condition of the motor mounts.

And given that on the FXR where Buell specified only two stabilizers, he chose top and front rather than top and rear, it seems the choice is clear if you're only going to run two on a Dyna--especially given the ease of installation issue. The front stabilizer is the way to go, IMO, if you're only going to install one additional stabilizer.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
The ones that have posted on here who have tried just the front have reported more than just a "slight" difference.

As for Eric Buell, I don't know whether he has ever publicly commented on the design of the FXR frame or not. Harley put him in charge of designing the FXR and since it only has two stabilizers, I'm assuming that's the way Buell designed it. If he'd wanted three stabilizers I'm sure it would have three.
None the less, adding both stabilizers made more of a difference than just front alone. Your asserting that once the front is installed, it will stop all the flex. Can't be correct if adding the rear makes a bigger difference than just front alone. Anyways, get that thing installed and post a ride report!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I want to see how this turns out.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

This latest Sputhe looks much neater than my TT kit, the front mount being a bit of an eyesore. But it works and I also have one of their kits on my Glide. My Firebolt came with three stabilizers from the factory, as do all current Sportsters!

As well as the FXRs having just two stabilizers, so also do the touring models, up to 2009, when they got an entirely new frame and fresh engine mounting system. The topic of the third link gets frequent air time in the Touring forum, helped by there being around a dozen brands making variations on the TT theme!

Frankly, I am surprised Sputhe will sell only one link instead of two. By fitting only one, there will surely be increased loading on the other one? Having experienced wobble (or whatever you want to call it) on my dresser with just two links, it seems pointless to fit only one to a Dyna. It may be slightly better, but not as good as it could be.

I have three bikes, each with three stabilizers. It is the only way to travel!

I have studied US patent records on engine mountings and handling stabilizers. Most of the common bike makers have tackled these problems over the years and registered their solutions. Buell registered his 3 links back in 1988, if I recall correctly, and here we are twenty years later still solving the problems he solved back then! Thanks to TT and Sputhe, we have the means available to us.

Last edited by grbrown; 04-23-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added last para.

Quick Reply: Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]