Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm betting you will see an improvement with just the front, keep us posted after install.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I have seen one on a bike and I am looking at your nicely blister packed unit and all I see is a stamped metal bracket? The TT front bracket is a very solid piece of machined aluminum, no flexing there. The heim joints are the cheaper ones threaded at the joint, which break at the exposed thread, compared to the TT ones that have the adjuster threaded into a solid joint.
You're out to lunch on the heim joints. There is no comparison. The one on the Sputhe is much higher quality than the one on the TT I had. As for flex: are you kidding? The frame side bracket is made from 1/4" steel. But even if it were to flex on the plane (which is the only way it could) it would not compromise the stabilizer, and if you think it would you don't understand how the thing works in the first place.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
You're out to lunch on the heim joints. There is no comparison. The one on the Sputhe is much higher quality than the one on the TT I had. As for flex: are you kidding? The frame side bracket is made from 1/4" steel. But even if it were to flex on the plane (which is the only way it could) it would not compromise the stabilizer, and if you think it would you don't understand how the thing works in the first place.

Christ, I said I hope it works out for you and No, you're out to lunch. I am not the one who panicked when installing the TT. I did say probably won't be enough stress.
Those freakin' joints broke all the time on the stress braces I installed, just my experience.
Too bad you will never know if your getting the full benefit.
No hate and peace out.
CB

Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

There was no instruction sheet included in with the Positrac, so I've e-mailed Alan and asked him what is the correct orientation of the front bracket:

Is it right:

Or is it left:

???

If the front bracket that came with my Positrac was flat like the one in the photo, it obviously would not matter. But it appears Sputhe has changed his design, as the bracket I got has a bend and offset, which means the way it's oriented will affect the alignment of the heim joint.

CBZ1200n: Sorry if I offended. I've been battling a bout with vertigo today and difficult clients, so I'm a little stressed. I appreciate your input.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gary7 - how much does just the front stabilizer cost?

From your pics it appears like they made a few design changes from the pictures posted on the Sputhe website.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Gary7

Looks like a nice piece to me. I Got the TT and I'm pleased with it. I don't think that I knew about the Sputh when I made my purchase. I will think on this just running the front one and not both. I thought the Buell had 3 points for the stablization I'm asking because I thought that I read 3 somewhere. Anyway I can say that mike bike is totally different so I hope you are also pleased with yours. Keep us posted thanks!

Russ

Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
CBZ1200n: Sorry if I offended. I've been battling a bout with vertigo today and difficult clients, so I'm a little stressed. I appreciate your input.
No applogy is ever neccesary with me, you have helped me out with few things on the board and I appreciate it! Put the bracket down, go for a ride and relax!
CB

Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by luckyB
Gary7 - how much does just the front stabilizer cost?

From your pics it appears like they made a few design changes from the pictures posted on the Sputhe website.
Yes, I'd say the one I got is an updated design. The cost for just the front stabilizer is $180 plus shipping. The part number for just the front stabilizer is 9105.

Originally Posted by fxdxruss
Looks like a nice piece to me. I Got the TT and I'm pleased with it. I don't think that I knew about the Sputh when I made my purchase. I will think on this just running the front one and not both. I thought the Buell had 3 points for the stablization I'm asking because I thought that I read 3 somewhere.
Buell bikes do have three stabilizers. But long before Eric Buell started making his own bikes he was an engineer at Harley. He was responsible for the FXR chassis and for that bike he specified a top and front stabilizer only.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I hope this install goes better than the last one. I got your back, gary.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting thread. I'll be paying attention, as I want to do this sometime this season with either Sputhe or True-Track.

What would be a really good experiment is to do the front, take it off and install the back, then install both and report on the differences. Do you happen to know how much just the back is?

Steve

Quick Reply: Sputhe Positrac arrived today [pics]