Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSoil in trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by paul s
What kind of transmission work did they do? The clutch might not be right.
EXactly the right place to start! 9 times outta 10 something weird after the dealer touched it.... look I just had them do a tire change, same tire dunlop stock HD tire and my drive belt is on much looser than originally. I'm gonna have to tighten it myself and avoid them for a while again.

BTW this is the first negative feedback on amsoil I've ever heard of.

Last edited by maddghost; 04-22-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 PM
jimw411
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i first get on it cold it's fine but after is warms up on the highway it clanks really loud every gear. It wasn't bad until yesturday when it was about 90 degrees here instead of 65-70 and it was BAD. I've been running the gear saver and if i pushed the shifter down just right i wouldn't even get a clunk going into first. And it was silent when shifting up the gears, and if you throttle it right silent going down the gears. As soon as i get paid i'm going back.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Firefytr29wfd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Amsoil 20W50 in the engine and primary and Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140 in the trans, works great for me.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:26 AM
catalac
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Who put the oil in you or the shop? Maybe you paid for Amsoil and got Wallyworld no name?

I run Amsoil 20/50 in all holes, imo the tranny shifts smoother than the stock HD oil did.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:52 AM
formike56
Club Member

Originally Posted by jimw411
Since i bought my bike new i have always changed my own oil, and since my first oil change I have been using Bel Rey Gear Saver. I recently had the trans worked on and the dealer stopped stocking Gear Saver and said they have AMSoil and can put that in instead. This stuff sucks. My trans bangs when shifting so bad, much worse then it did with the factory stuff. It's been warm out here and after 10 minutes of riding it just breaks down or something and bangs every gear up and down. I don't recommend this oil in the trans at all. And yes it is the 80 140 trans lube. I will be draining it out after 300 miles and pouring in some Gear Saver by Bel Rey.
Try Spectro Six Speed tranny oil. That is what I use. Made a world of difference. It is expensive. But what is 5.00$ compared to 1600.00$ for a new tranny. Look at there web site. they will deliver to your house if ordered online. Spectro Oils of America. They also sell a primary lube that I use. In my own opinion they have the best....

Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,298 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I switched from the Amsoil to the Redline Shockproof.

Didn't really have a problem with the Amsoil except being able to find it locally when I needed it.

I've been real happy with the Redline.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:10 PM
jimw411
Tourer

I went in to get my primary bearing replaced a second time, and they replaced the cases for the trans and the inner primary and replaced all the bearings in the transmission. They did put in the AMSoil cause it looks like it on the stick and it was listed on the invoice. I can tell it's a Oil issue because it's fine cold and around town a little but once you ride on the highway or it's hot out the trans starts banging which it didn't do with the Gear Savor. My bike did the exact same thing with the original fluid from the factory and as soon as I did my first oil change and put in the Gear Savor it stopped. My wife's 07' Dyna was the same and stopped when i changed the fluid to Gear Savor. So AMSoil in my bike acts the same as the crap from the assembly line. As soon as I change it back i'll let you know if it stops banging.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:14 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the Spectro 6 speed platinum also and it smoothed it out pretty good.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:33 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R Racing had some issues with it a while back:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-a-lesson.html

Redline now makes a V-twin blend - one for the tranny and one for the primary
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...5&categoryID=6
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...6&categoryID=6

Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 AM
jimw411
Tourer

I went for a ride today it was 65 degrees out and the trans was perfect and didn't bang like it did when it was 90 + out. It was just as quiet as the Gear Savor. I guess the AMS oil just doesn't like the heat.

Quick Reply: AMSoil in trans