Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superglide custom or Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009 | 11:32 AM
BTilly
|
Intermediate
Default Superglide custom or Fatboy

I am looking at purchasing my first Harley. I have had metric bikes for many years but I have always wanted a Harley. Now I have the funds to do so.

I have been looking at the superglide custom and the fatboy. Both are beautiful bikes. I am 5'8" and the SGC fits me real well. I found the seat on some of the FB to be a little to wide. I know I can change the seat out.

For the price of the SGC I could afford to customize it some right away. ( Rhinehart exhaust, race tuner, stage 1 and rims). The fatboy I would keep pretty much stock except for some slip on Rush mufflers.

I don't do long trips, I ride to work once in awhile, poker runs, bike nights and the typical weekend riding. I have my girlfriend on the back 75% of the time.

Just curious what some of your opinions are on the two bikes.

Thanks Bob

Old 04-21-2009 | 11:39 AM
crooky
Cruiser

Go with what you think is better for you , personally I do not like the ride characteristics of the softails, I like the handling of the dynas and dynas are a lot cheaper to customize….. good luck.

Old 04-21-2009 | 12:28 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain

+1. If you can, it might be worth the $$ to rent both....many HD dealers also rent, and a few hours on each might tell you..

Originally Posted by crooky
Go with what you think is better for you , personally I do not like the ride characteristics of the softails, I like the handling of the dynas and dynas are a lot cheaper to customize….. good luck.

Old 04-21-2009 | 12:54 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

+1 on renting.

I am slowly in the market for a new or second bike. I am thinking around August-September for a time frame.

I have gone on out of state trips pretty often in the last year and have rented for a week at a time.

I have a real understanding of what I'm looking for in my next bike now. I can buy without asking "what if"

Old 04-21-2009 | 12:58 PM
BTilly
|
Intermediate

The weather here in Ohio is starting to break and fortunately I have a few weeks off work. I may just have to rent each one for a few days and try them both out.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-21-2009 | 11:36 PM
Juve996
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BTilly
The weather here in Ohio is starting to break and fortunately I have a few weeks off work. I may just have to rent each one for a few days and try them both out.

Thanks for the advice.
It's the only way to do it.. Sit in that saddle..

Old 04-21-2009 | 11:58 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

I think you'll be happy with either one. If performance is an issue for you, the dyna will be nimbler than the softtail. Although the Fat Boy isn't quite as popular as it was several years ago (when it was all the rage) if you're attracted to that Fat Boy look or wanna profile more than feel the twistees go with that. Only you know. I struggled with the same choice... I chose the dyna but they're so different you'll always wonder "what if" I chose the other one?

Old 04-22-2009 | 12:13 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Billy welcome from ohio also, were you at and what dealer you working with? I have a FXDC and love it but the fat boys are a nice bike i have ridin one. Another factor to consider is you and your girls size if small and not much weight with the two of you FXDC would be good. However if your both on the bigger side then the fatboy would probably ride you two better.

I could and do ride all day and longer with my FXDC as anyone with a fatboy. I ride it to work about everyday and thats 70 miles round trip. Have done many 500 mile days. Bike will be 2yrs old in mid june this year and has 26,000 miles on it. Getting ready to head to the new river gorge bridge area this weekend down in WV.

Old 04-22-2009 | 09:11 AM
Man O'War
Road Captain

+1 on being happy with either one. But if you are a chrome sort of guy, the FXDC probably would be a slightly better choice with lots of chrome already before the mods come into play.

Old 04-22-2009 | 09:54 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

you will be happy with either bike but its more what you want +1 on the rental I happen to like the custom but that does not mean you will

Quick Reply: Superglide custom or Fatboy