Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What lenght of rear shock to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Dutch110
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I'm curious. If you raise the bike up, doesn't that create a higher center of gravity causing the bike to handle worse?

My old bike (78 yamaha 1100) was fairly tall but handled great. I dunno. Maybe I'm confusing myself.
Maybe. If you raise the rear and keep the front end at the same height it will put more weight over the front. Typically this will cause the bike to tip in and steer quicker. If your bike is slow to turn in and lazy steering to begin with this is a good thing. If your bike already has these characteristics then it could cause it to turn in too quick. With the Harley front end being non adjustable for preload you are limited to adjusting ride height in the front short of repositioning the fork tubes in the triples. The key to suspension adjustment is to record your baseline and only make one change at a time.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with an adjustable height shock. I have been looking into new rear shocks, never heard of the essex shock, but the YSS is probably the best shock for the money. Ride height adjustable by 10mm, multiple rebound damping adjustment and preload adjustable. The trl-z-366 comes in a 320mm length and is the shock I am saving for!
http://www.yssusa.com/series-z.html
CB

Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

SCL, I am not a suspension expert by any means, but will answer as I ubderstand it.

In a sense you are correct, IF

1. The bike already had enough ground clearance to corner quickly. In my view, a stock height Dyna will drag lonfg before you are going fast.

2, The bikes turns in easily, which, for me, the stock FXD did not.

I can ride thru the twisties on Angeles Crest Highway (mountain road north of LA) maybe 10 mph faster, with the same effort, with the raised suspension, and other mods. I can still drag the pegs, but I have to be going way faster to do it.

If you were to go to rice store and sit on some of the crotch rockets, you would notice they all have high seats, and cramped leg room......for cornering fast.

Not sure I said this clearly...hope it helps.

greg

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I'm curious. If you raise the bike up, doesn't that create a higher center of gravity causing the bike to handle worse?

My old bike (78 yamaha 1100) was fairly tall but handled great. I dunno. Maybe I'm confusing myself.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1. Just ordered these for my Street Rod.

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I would go with an adjustable height shock. I have been looking into new rear shocks, never heard of the essex shock, but the YSS is probably the best shock for the money. Ride height adjustable by 10mm, multiple rebound damping adjustment and preload adjustable. The trl-z-366 comes in a 320mm length and is the shock I am saving for!
http://www.yssusa.com/series-z.html
CB

Old 06-25-2024, 04:39 PM
Damian666
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What style? I have fxdc and tour, cruise etc. Want to get rear shock upgrade and been told hagon 320mm is good...?

Old 06-25-2024, 04:43 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,244 Likes on 729 Posts

This thread has been dormant for over 15 years, I don't think you're going to get an answer.