Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike lurching when first putting into gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 10:42 AM
sws1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike lurching when first putting into gear

I've noticed a small thing with my '06 Super Glide. Usually, I start the bike in neutral, but with the clutch in (for safety). When I first kick it into first gear, even though clutch is in, the bike leaps a bit, like someone kicked the back of the bike. Doesn't happen again until the next day.

Yesterday, I started the bike in first gear. Again, clutch pulled in. At the time I started the bike, it lurched forward an inch. Same as above.

It feels like the clutch is sticking, yet it's not engaged, which would imply that something that needs to be loose, is not completely loose, until the torque of the engine breaks it free. Kinda like the first time you open a Jar of jelly. First time hard. Then after it sits, it's hard again.

Any thoughts? Do your bikes do that?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:43 AM
GrayRider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike lurching when first putting into gear

Have the dealer adjust your clutch.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

My Low Rider doesn't.

My '72 Bonneville did the same exact thing as yours - the clutch plates were sticking.

Get it checked out.

Sammi

Old 05-05-2006, 11:55 AM
sws1
Cruiser

Is the fact that this symptom only happens when I FIRST start the bike consistent with sticky clutch plates? ie., wouldn't a stickly clutch plate cause this all the time, or no?

Old 05-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not a mechanic or decent wrench, but that was the issue with my old bike. It would happen whenever the bike sat for a day or two.

A common problem for bikes of that era.

Sammi

Old 05-05-2006, 01:27 PM
oldfrtbkr
Cruiser

My '98 Dyna did it as does my '06. I read somewhere that it has something to do with the fluids getting cold after the bike sits for a day or so. Mine does it the first time I start her for the day but not anytime after unless, of course, the bike sits overnight again.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:32 PM
parts guy
Intermediate

It is kinda common, my 02 sportster used to do it all the time after it sat. and then after winter and it sat for a few months you could
not push the bike with it in gear and clutch pulled in you would have to start it and break the plates free. it did did this for all
15,000 miles i owned the bike with no ill effects I would not worry about it to much. just me .02

nick
06 denim black bob

Old 05-05-2006, 02:42 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Your clutch is dragging. Go to the DIY section and look for "clutch adjustment" By TC. Simple to do if you have tools. If not go to the dealer and get it adjusted. If it doesn't need adjusting try a lighter oil in the primary (10w40 or 10w50 but do not use automotive oils with friction modifiers make sure this oil does NOT have moly in it) Redline MTL is supposed to be good for this or the old style HD chaincase lube might be good too. I had the same issue but the adjustment cured it. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does it. Doesn't actually move forward because I'm on the brake, but it tries.

Only when dead cold. Also makes a loud clunk going into gear, much more so than the normal clunk. Then shifting gets better and better for next 5 mins.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:31 PM
jw5150
Cruiser

My 06 Bob does the same thing after sitting over night. Good to go after initial start for the rest of the day.

Quick Reply: Bike lurching when first putting into gear