Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers Fell Off My Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:34 AM
JasonDee
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mufflers Fell Off My Bike

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I was driving down the road (50-60 mph) two days ago and the stock mufflers on my 2009 Street Bob simply fell off the motorcycle. I haven't removed them since I bought the bike last september. When I retrieved the mufflers and put them back on I found that the only thing holding them onto the bike is the clamps that attaches them to the header pipes. When I loosened the two clamps I found they were both still very tight. They have a bracket that holds the two together but the bracket does not attach to the bike. A poor design if you ask me because the header pipes are bracketed to the engine/trans and the mufflers are the heavier part of the system and they are held on just by the tension created by the clamps. Anyone ever have a similar experience.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an 09 Bob and mine are held on with the clamps and then the mufflers themselves are attached to a bracket attached to the bike. Sounds like you lost the bracket or never had it.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM
r00k
Road Warrior

Whoa, never heard of that happening.

Take that to the dealer, something is definitely wrong.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM
ratt196635
Road Master

Had mine fall off my 06 bob once.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Wait maybe the bracket I'm talking about only attaches the "mufflers" to each other and not the bike? I'll have to check but I know there is a bracket that attaches the exhaust to the engine but maybe that's before the "mufflers."

Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have heard of it happening to a few guys.

Who does your service on your bike?

Suppose to check the exhaust for leaks, cracks and loose fasteners at the service.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 AM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That happened to a guy I knew,Twice HD fixed it twice,they first tired to blame him...he said F-it and bought a full set

Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

On the fatbob there is a small bracket that holds the slips together and a large black on near the beginning of the slip-ons with three tread bolts /with ordinary hex bolts . They got loose once and I could hear the rattling which went away after the pipes warmed up. So the HD tec just tightened them and told me it was actually a weak poit (obvious) but that he was seeing 4 or 5 per summer come in. So I let that go and don't you know a few weeks later I'm riding and I hear PINNNGGGG. Well two of the threads had just sheared off and the third was loose. They drilled out all three and re-threaded the holes and replaced with actual bolts....so far so good!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:06 AM
DeathProof72
Road Master

I am sure it would be covered under warranty, since something like that I can't see as being caused by abuse. Bring it in, best case scenario, they replace the exhaust since the road damage was caused by a defect.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RED_5
Wait maybe the bracket I'm talking about only attaches the "mufflers" to each other and not the bike? I'll have to check but I know there is a bracket that attaches the exhaust to the engine but maybe that's before the "mufflers."
The bracket that attaches to the mufflers is not attached to anything else.

Quick Reply: Mufflers Fell Off My Bike