Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCT's Today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 AM
coachstorms
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCT's Today!

My baffles were delivered today! Gotta get em' installed tonite, my question is this; Any tips for removing the heat shield on my staggered short shots? Or any other tips you have to idiot proof my install?

I am anxious to get them on after all the ranting and raving on here about how great they are, I'll post video once they are in.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 AM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the pipes from the bike for the install, just to make life easier.

You don't really need to but it added maybe 15 minutes to the install.

EDIT: your bob is looking good in your sig pic.

Keep it up

Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I loosened the heat shield clamps all the way and just pulled the shields off. Leave the hoe clamps in the shields. The destructions say to install the rear of the baffles 3" from the end of the pipe. I used the hole for the stock V&H baffles. I wanted to see if there was a performance change worthy of adjusting my PCIII. I wonder what the difference might be with the baffles installed 3" in as rcommended.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i left my pipes on for the install! i thought it was way eisier... what i did to get mine off was soak them in PB blast for a night, heat them up wiht a touch, bend the tab that the original baffle has wiht a hole in it for the bolt in, hook a chain hook on that, conect to slide hammer and go to town! boom boom boom, popped out, the lower one came out almost as soon as i unscred it... from there i measuered 6in up the pipe, my strap was there, so i went 7 in into the pipe... drilled a hole, used long nose pliers to feed in the baffle, bit of red loc tite on the end of the screw, put it in there... put back on shields DONE... took me about 30 min total, on my 2nd set.... about 5 hrs the first set i did trying to figure out how the hell to do it! hahahaha worked great the 2nd time!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave the pipes, take off the shields though. I put them in on my short shots last week. I didnt have many miles on my pipes so pulling out the baffles was a breeze, just used a pair of pliers. Only problem I had was getting the baffles the whole 6 inches in (only on the bottom pipe I had this problem. Measure twice, drill once.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
r00k
Road Warrior

Also, on my short shots the hole for 6 inches in was right under the pipe clamp. I just squared the screw up right under the clamp and then ran the clamp over the screw head, plenty of clearance and i know for sure that screw wont back out

You can leave the pipes on or take them off, either way works.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

I'll be getting my BCT baffles for my V&H Straightshot HS Slipons tomorrow or Wednesday. Drilling a hole 6" back from the rear of the muffler end is no problem.

My question is, what is the trick to lining up the screw with the threads on the BCT baffle? Just keep messing around with it until you get it?

Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Lorance66
Road Master

leave the pipes on, it's an easy install. Take the heat shields all the way off and it will become evident what needs to be done.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I used long nose pliers and a thin scre driver to stick thought he holes to get them to line up... then just pop in those screws!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:34 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Ok Joe - thanks. That's what I'll do.
Richard...

Quick Reply: BCT's Today!