Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting on SE Torque mufflers - how?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 PM
sws1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting on SE Torque mufflers - how?

This weekend (I hope), I'm going to be putting on SE Torque mufflers (80061-00) on my '06 DCI.

Any advice or instructions on how to do this? I have the Dyna manual, but it really doesn't explain it in detail. Looks like it's a simple clamp holding muffler to pipe.

Is it real easy, or am I in for trouble? Any tricks?

Thanks

Old 05-03-2006, 01:50 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Putting on SE Torque mufflers - how?

When I changed my mufflers one of them was stuck. After pulling on it for half an hour and getting nowhere I sprayed some PB Blaster on her and she slid right off. I don't know if this is standard practice but, it worked for me.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:56 PM
LeavenworthJeff
Cruiser

It will help to spray WD-40 or such to help loosen up the mufflers. You will need a torque wrench. I didn't think I did either and didn't listen to some of the people's advise on here. If you don't use a torque wrench they will slip later. 45-60 ft/lbs of torque is recommended. PS do not use the rivots in the kit. Should take you 1/2 hr-1 hr depending on how easy the old mufflers come off. Also wipe off the mufflers real good before firing the scoot back up or else you will have some nice fingerprints and such burned on to your pipes.

LeavenworthJeff
05 FXDI

Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM
kaduku
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If stuck, just wiggle and pull like hell. If you can, do the rivet thing, but you may need to remove heat shield. I did not rivet, followed torque specs, and after a few miles of riding, the mufflers slipped a few centimeters. I had to re-torque the damn thing. You can re-use the clamps again (instructions says to replace), but after that I would buy new ones. I removed my mufflers 2 or 3 times and it finally snapped.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Dan B
Cruiser

I've put on the same slip-ons om my FXDCI-06.

Six screws and nuts. Twist a little on the mufflers and pull them out.
Easy and fast jobb. Se pic.

Enjoy the sound.

//Dan B

[IMG]local://upfiles/6455/E138FB9B53BD42D2A1BC1B6DC7FD6AA0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-03-2006, 06:00 PM
sws1
Cruiser

Awesome pic. Thanks

Old 05-04-2006, 10:37 AM
LeavenworthJeff
Cruiser

SWS1- It seems that our tech mod has a problem with me saying that you shouldn't use the rivots. I didn't use them and I know of a ton of people on this board and else where did not use them. I even talked to the dealership service dept. about the rivots and they said I didn't need them. Having said that it doesn't mean YOU can't use the rivots. Its your choice. I believe that all of my other advise ie torque wrench, HD-40 and wiping off the pipes before starting the bike back up is sound advise.

LeavenworthJeff

05 FXDI

Old 05-04-2006, 11:07 AM
4sporty
Intermediate

hey there is the torque mufflers louder or the same as the SE 2 slash cut ,like the look on the torque mufflers but will not change if the sound level is lower than my SE 2

Old 05-04-2006, 11:48 AM
kaduku
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 4sporty
hey there is the torque mufflers louder or the same as the SE 2 slash cut ,like the look on the torque mufflers but will not change if the sound level is lower than my SE 2
Not as loud! I also like the stock look, but had to go with the SEII baloney cut.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:15 PM
ndfan
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: LeavenworthJeff

SWS1- It seems that our tech mod has a problem with me saying that you shouldn't use the rivots. I didn't use them and I know of a ton of people on this board and else where did not use them. I even talked to the dealership service dept. about the rivots and they said I didn't need them. Having said that it doesn't mean YOU can't use the rivots. Its your choice. I believe that all of my other advise ie torque wrench, HD-40 and wiping off the pipes before starting the bike back up is sound advise.

LeavenworthJeff

05 FXDI

Did your dealership service department recommend the torque wrench? A guy at mine said not to torque them. just curious.

Quick Reply: Putting on SE Torque mufflers - how?