Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009 | 04:01 AM
WhatTaxi
|
Advanced
Default Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA

If you loosen the bolts on front engine mount and it pulls away from the frame this is not good .

i fixed the vibration by 90% by putting a 2mm thick piece of flat steal between rubber mount and frame .

heaps better

Cheers .

Attached Thumbnails Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA-img_3325.jpg   Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA-002.jpg  
Old 04-10-2009 | 04:09 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior

THANKS! I'll be checking mine for sure.

Old 04-10-2009 | 06:27 AM
drhooligan
Tourer

There was another thread a while back where a guy put a spacer of some thickness in that same location with good results. It looked like the spacer kept the engine side of the mount front being in contact with the frame. I'm going to try this.

Old 04-10-2009 | 06:43 AM
WhatTaxi
|
Advanced

just watch out , coz when ya take both bolts out the motor will drop and move the the left , but only a little , so but a jack under it first to take the weight to stop this movement .

Old 04-10-2009 | 06:55 AM
drhooligan
Tourer

There was another thread a while back where a guy put a spacer of some thickness in that same location with good results. It looked like the spacer kept the engine side of the mount front being in contact with the frame. I'm going to try this.

Old 04-10-2009 | 07:40 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

You can shim with washers. Loosen the bolts, then jack the engine up until you can turn the bolts by hand with no resistance, measure the gap and shim. Also, remove one bolt at a time.

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Below you can see where I shimmed the motor mount (gold washers) Originally the motor mount was preloaded from the factory. Many have had the motor mounts fail, most likely from being preloaded, it was loaded in such a way that the mount was being pulled apart. I did this when I first bought the bike, found the preload when I removed the California only vapor cannister (this is the original mount with 17,000 miles).

Old 04-10-2009 | 08:14 AM
speedjunkie
Road Captain

Yep, seems like it's probably more common than most realise. I found mine needed shimmed nearly 1/4" when I put the true track on a couple weeks ago. I don't know if it's the TT or the shims, but mine is even smoother at idle now! I'm not real sure why HD can't fix this from the factory. I guess that might take knowledge and an effort, but what do I know!

Mike

Old 04-10-2009 | 08:32 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Anybody notice handling issues or differences after installing this shim?

Old 04-10-2009 | 02:41 PM
drhooligan
Tourer

Originally Posted by WhatTaxi
If you loosen the bolts on front engine mount and it pulls away from the frame this is not good .

i fixed the vibration by 90% by putting a 2mm thick piece of flat steal between rubber mount and frame .

heaps better

Cheers .
Yep, really helped mine. '07 Dyna, loosened the bolts and it gapped about as much as yours and others have. My gap was about 3/16". Placed (2) 2.5mm washers between the metal bracket and the rubber of the mount. The washers just about touch each other.

The bike was allready on the lift and this mod took all of about 5 minutes with jacking and retorqing the bolts.

Put the bike down and fired up, vibration at idle is down over 50% and vibration running the engine in neural at 3K is gone entirely. Simply amazing! I kinda like some shake in a Harley but had a little too much prior to the washer/spacer install. This forum is the absolute best.

Last edited by drhooligan; 04-10-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2009 | 03:02 PM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

Anybody have the torque specs for the bolts when you re-tighten? I don't have a manual, so I don't want to do this until I know what to retorque the bolts to. Also, should you jack up the engine while you're retorqueing the bolts?

Quick Reply: Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA