Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009 | 09:14 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

gatta try this one just for kiks anyway

Old 08-16-2009 | 02:34 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by '09fxdb
If you were riding your bike instead of writing over 2000 posts in less than a year, you would know that Harleys vibrate!!!
If you had checked the content of archergodwin's posts before you wrote this reply, you definitively hadn't submitted it! I think you owe him an apology!

Old 08-16-2009 | 04:19 PM
jarhead45
Road Master

I gotta get off my azz and do this myself.

Old 08-16-2009 | 10:18 PM
70mach1
Road Master
Default Only asking ????

Not looking for any trouble here girls .. LOL..
I read a few days a go abought someone loosening front and or both front and rear mounts , then starting up their bikes idling them reving a couple times , then retightening the motor mounts ??
Claimed the vibes were pretty much gone ,
Think maybe the motor settled some do to some time in the seat /??

Old 08-16-2009 | 11:30 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

ill try this on my 96
thank mon

Old 08-17-2009 | 08:24 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 70mach1
Not looking for any trouble here girls .. LOL..
I read a few days a go abought someone loosening front and or both front and rear mounts , then starting up their bikes idling them reving a couple times , then retightening the motor mounts ??
Claimed the vibes were pretty much gone ,
Think maybe the motor settled some do to some time in the seat /??
It is part of the vehicle alignment procedure called out in the service manual.

The vibrations do not disappear, but they are toned down quite a bit. Also, you don't quite rev the engine... just a couple of small blips of the throttle, within the 15-30 seconds the engine is running. The procedure itself calls for running the engine for only 5-10 seconds... I expanded the time for mine.

I added the shims to mine, after I did the above, to remove the preload on the front motor mount. The 2500 mile round trip to Sturgis was just fine

Last edited by archergodwin; 08-17-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2009 | 05:25 PM
rkoch
6th Gear

OK, can of worms time, but I've saved up my whole life to buy the bike of my dreams, bought a '09 Screamin' Eagle Fat Bob, and it shakes SO BAD driving down the road at 70 that I can't feel my hands or feet after 20 miles. I get it that Harley's shake, but this is ridiculous. I've owned 7 other bikes and driven dozens of others. This is unacceptable for the amount of cash I put into this thing. The dealer has agreed to install a new front engine mount; they obviously have had issues and continue to. Obviously disappointed here guys... - RK.

Old 08-17-2009 | 09:40 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rkoch
OK, can of worms time, but I've saved up my whole life to buy the bike of my dreams, bought a '09 Screamin' Eagle Fat Bob, and it shakes SO BAD driving down the road at 70 that I can't feel my hands or feet after 20 miles. I get it that Harley's shake, but this is ridiculous. I've owned 7 other bikes and driven dozens of others. This is unacceptable for the amount of cash I put into this thing. The dealer has agreed to install a new front engine mount; they obviously have had issues and continue to. Obviously disappointed here guys... - RK.

I know what you mean.... but hey, I like working on my bike almost as much as riding it... no excuse tho. I did also find that the "SE Stage 1" remap, made my bike vibrate like crazy. Didn't realize how much, till I installed the TTS Mastertune and tuned my bike. That removed a bunch of unnecessary vibes. But also have your dealer actually perform the vehicle alignment procedure after replacing the front motor mount.

Old 08-18-2009 | 08:34 AM
roofer
Road Master

If you want to get rid of all the vibration buy a softail, I had a Springer Classic and it didn't vibrate at all but its a trade off, my Dyna has way more power and is quicker.

Old 08-20-2009 | 10:24 AM
getanxd
Advanced
Default WOW, worked for me too (shim'd m-mount = no vibration)

wow, it worked for me too and i was a skeptic! i did the: level bike, support motor, loosen front m-mount, observe and fill 'gap' (if present) from motor to frame with shim or washers, and my excessive vibrations on a 06 DWG went to 'normal.' it's like a new bike now! thanks to that guy on the vtwin forum (84FXTD?), ArcherGodWin and Expy and all others that have posted this internet forum 'Fix' HD can't resolve or even admit exists!

DONT DO THIS Though: i first tried to keep my bike level by myself using hooks from the rafter and tie traps to the handlebars - i finally got the rachet tie straps out and the bike finally leveled, but i noticed the front forks oil marks were visible and realized i had basically 'lifted' the bike/frame up and this whole 'test' would have been void i think...we are using bike at rest weight to reference motor to frame! SO, get someone to straddle the bike and observe a magnetic vertical level stuck to the front disk brake - worked for me! I owed a '95 DWG that rode like silk and i knew this one should too!

i think HD 'normal' and real world 'normal' is like Bill Clinton's "it depends on your definition of what 'Is', 'Is'?" classic!

Quick Reply: Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA