Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009 | 10:54 PM
rkoch
6th Gear

Well, just bought a spankin' new '09 Screamin' Eagle Fat Bob and it is unrideable at 2800 rpm when going down the road. Shimmed the front mount with (1) washer per and it helped a little, took it to the stealer and they dinked around for 8 HOURS "aligning" my mounts instead of replacing the front one like they should. Now they tell me to bring it in again to swap front mounts, I guess they have had a lot of issues with the front mount being bad, even though it may look fine. Not what I expected for my 1st Harley with less than 300 miles on it... - RK.

Old 08-13-2009 | 11:27 PM
thegov3
Advanced

To make sure I understand the logic here...The tighter the engine is to the frame, the less vibration you'll get. As such, you unbolt the engine mounts to see if there is any play. If there is a void, you fill the void and retighten? Sounds simple, yet makes no sense. Please explain how that helps reduce vibration.

Old 08-14-2009 | 12:27 PM
steveoh62
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thegov3
To make sure I understand the logic here...The tighter the engine is to the frame, the less vibration you'll get. As such, you unbolt the engine mounts to see if there is any play. If there is a void, you fill the void and retighten? Sounds simple, yet makes no sense. Please explain how that helps reduce vibration.
When the motor mount is flush to the frame with no screws, it reduces vibration because you have the full range of the rubber isolator to absorb the vibes. When you have to use screws to draw the motor mount to the frame, the rubber isolator does not have it's full range available to absorb the vibes.

It is just like a shock aborber. If you have to compress a shock absorber to fit bwtween 2 mounting holes, you no longer have the full range of the shock available.

I had to shim my front mount on my 2006 FXDCI. After doing so, the vibes were mostly gone and now I can see out of my mirrors.

Old 08-14-2009 | 12:40 PM
Greg_D
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steveoh62
When the motor mount is flush to the frame with no screws, it reduces vibration because you have the full range of the rubber isolator to absorb the vibes. When you have to use screws to draw the motor mount to the frame, the rubber isolator does not have it's full range available to absorb the vibes.

It is just like a shock aborber. If you have to compress a shock absorber to fit bwtween 2 mounting holes, you no longer have the full range of the shock available.

I had to shim my front mount on my 2006 FXDCI. After doing so, the vibes were mostly gone and now I can see out of my mirrors.

Yep. Good explanation.

I just did this a few weeks ago.

Used a jack to support the engine. Removed both bolts. Shimmed with 3 grade 8 washers, and then used 1/4" longer grade 8 bolts.

The results are dramatic. No vibes at all in the bar. Minimal in the pegs. And at idle, the front end isn't bouncing all over the place.

This is on an 09 Fatbob with 2000 miles.

Old 08-15-2009 | 01:33 PM
thegov3
Advanced

Originally Posted by steveoh62

It is just like a shock absorber. If you have to compress a shock absorber to fit between 2 mounting holes, you no longer have the full range of the shock available.

Ah, that makes sense. I have bad vibes in the pegs at certain RPMs and the handlebars do vibrate quite a bit while on the highway, but I am a little nervous about messin with the engine mounts. I am afraid I'll screw something up.

Old 08-15-2009 | 04:14 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

WhatTaxi:

What was your question again? Sorry...

I can't get past your avatar. I'd like to shim that.

Old 08-15-2009 | 05:33 PM
'09fxdb
Tourer

For pete's sake.....'ain't a little shimmy 'an a little shake what "HD" is all about???? All the mods and washers and shims didn't do a fcukin' thing for any of you...I like it..the wife loves it...and the girlfriend "LOVES" it...if you want to get rid of the vibes...get a Honda.......

Old 08-15-2009 | 07:11 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by '09fxdb
For pete's sake.....'ain't a little shimmy 'an a little shake what "HD" is all about???? All the mods and washers and shims didn't do a fcukin' thing for any of you...I like it..the wife loves it...and the girlfriend "LOVES" it...if you want to get rid of the vibes...get a Honda.......

go smoke a doobie and chill out.... or better yet, since you don't know how this affected my bike, shut the **** up.

Performing the vehicle alignment procedure and THEN shimming the front motor mount removed a bunch of undue vibration. I had about 1/8" gap that I needed to make up. It's a bunch better... the bike also does not have near as much 'rear steer' that these newer dynas are notorius for.

Old 08-15-2009 | 07:19 PM
'09fxdb
Tourer

Originally Posted by archergodwin
go smoke a doobie and chill out.... or better yet, since you don't know how this affected my bike, shut the **** up.

Performing the vehicle alignment procedure and THEN shimming the front motor mount removed a bunch of undue vibration. I had about 1/8" gap that I needed to make up. It's a bunch better... the bike also does not have near as much 'rear steer' that these newer dynas are notorius for.
If you were riding your bike instead of writing over 2000 posts in less than a year, you would know that Harleys vibrate!!!

Old 08-15-2009 | 07:24 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by '09fxdb
If you were riding your bike instead of writing over 2000 posts in less than a year, you would know that Harleys vibrate!!!
I've got over 11000 miles on my bike in one year jackass.. fuq off.

... and that's not counting Nov. Dec. Jan. and Feb .... when I didn't ride because of the friggin snow.

Last edited by archergodwin; 08-15-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA