Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009 | 08:30 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Well I just loosened mine and the mount didn't pull away enough to put a 1/64 thick washer. So I tightened it back up & torqued. It barely pulled away on the top bolt and the bottom bolt once loose 1/4 turn I could remove with my fingers. The top bolt was tighter and the top of the mount moved away just barely. So, I'm guessing my engine doesn't have much preload on the mount because it looks brand new.

Old 04-10-2009 | 08:41 PM
ko4qc
Banned

Why not use rubber or leather shims if any are needed?...just asking...I plan to check mine tomorrow...

Old 04-10-2009 | 09:03 PM
gmpm5754
Advanced

Sorry about that. I used 3/8 washers, 3 on each bolt.
RT

Old 04-10-2009 | 09:06 PM
WhatTaxi
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Well I just loosened mine and the mount didn't pull away enough to put a 1/64 thick washer. So I tightened it back up & torqued. It barely pulled away on the top bolt and the bottom bolt once loose 1/4 turn I could remove with my fingers. The top bolt was tighter and the top of the mount moved away just barely. So, I'm guessing my engine doesn't have much preload on the mount because it looks brand new.

A friend has an 08 lowrider and was getting alot of vibration in the footpegs

do you get any of that ??

Old 04-10-2009 | 10:02 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by WhatTaxi
A friend has an 08 lowrider and was getting alot of vibration in the footpegs

do you get any of that ??
Only when the engine is cold at 2500 rpm. Once it warms for 20 minutes up not much. I have tuned about 70% of the vibration out with my SERT. My bike really only vibrates at idle and very low rpm. On the highway I can read license plates in the mirrors.

Old 04-11-2009 | 12:22 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

I was going to shim, but I found you can significantly reduce or eliminate the gap by loosening all the mount bolts.
Set the bike straight up, either have someone hold it up straight or jack it up by the frame, if you jack it up by the frame make sure you put your jack as far back as it can go. Put a small jack under the front of the engine to just to support it . Crack loose the the front mount to frame bolts, raise the engine just enough to be able to turn the frame to mount bolts by hand. If there is a gap loosen the mount to engine bolts and the mount should fall forward, mine had less than the thickness of a washer after loosening the bolts. Hand tighten and just snug all the bolts, drop the support for the engine and torque all the bolts 27ft.lbs and you should be good to go. If you have 1/2" gap and filling it with washers, I don't think the engine is positioned correctly? I would do this for the front and rear at the same time. The pic with the stack of washers seems really, really wrong to me.
CB

Old 04-11-2009 | 01:26 AM
gplarryv
Tourer

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I was going to shim, but I found you can significantly reduce or eliminate the gap by loosening all the mount bolts.
Set the bike straight up, either have someone hold it up straight or jack it up by the frame, if you jack it up by the frame make sure you put your jack as far back as it can go. Put a small jack under the front of the engine to just to support it . Crack loose the the front mount to frame bolts, raise the engine just enough to be able to turn the frame to mount bolts by hand. If there is a gap loosen the mount to engine bolts and the mount should fall forward, mine had less than the thickness of a washer after loosening the bolts. Hand tighten and just snug all the bolts, drop the support for the engine and torque all the bolts 27ft.lbs and you should be good to go. If you have 1/2" gap and filling it with washers, I don't think the engine is positioned correctly? I would do this for the front and rear at the same time. The pic with the stack of washers seems really, really wrong to me.
CB

I Have to Agree here

Old 04-11-2009 | 03:22 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
CB

Why?

Remember this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...il-cooler.html?

Or more specifically, this post from the same thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4629022-post38.html

A little more info in the below link.
'06 FXDI motor mount (warranty repair)
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ty-repair.html

Old 04-11-2009 | 07:17 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Same here, but I loostened both bolts about 1/4 inch, engine seperated at top bolt enough for a 1/16 inch washer. I even pryed a bit with a screwdriver to see if the engine was hung up on a thread or something but just needed the one washer to ease the preload gap.

Mike

Old 04-11-2009 | 03:24 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula

Why?

Remember this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...il-cooler.html?

Or more specifically, this post from the same thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4629022-post38.html

A little more info in the below link.
'06 FXDI motor mount (warranty repair)
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ty-repair.html
After installing the TT I am not buying into the washer fix, actually my gap went completely away when I loosened the whole mount. I guess if you still have a gap you could shim it, but if you have to put 3 or 4 washers in there I think there is something wrong or as I posted, you need to relax the rear mount also. Just my thoughts, if it works for you that is great.
CB

Quick Reply: Vibration through handlebars fixed , on 08 DYNA