Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mustang Vintage Solo on my FatBob

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
rstew3
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mustang Vintage Solo on my FatBob

I finally got my new Mustang seats yesterday, and they look / feel great. I didn't really have a problem with the stock seat that came on the FXDF, but my wife haed it. We were familiar with the Mustang Solo / Passenger combo from my old Sportster, so I went that way again. Again, I am very happy.

Attached Thumbnails New Mustang Vintage Solo on my FatBob-fxdf-003_25percent.jpg  
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good. Is that the std or wide version?

I just added a mustang solo as well. Never owned a mustang before and haven't done any major mileage with it yet so I can't comment on comfort level. For the time being I'll keep my sundowner 2-up for when my g/f wants to ride. The matching mustang p-pad isn't affordable right now.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,291 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I have about 15K on my Mustang solo.

Best investment I've made as far as riding comfort.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Toy...approx. how long does it take to break that seat in? Couple hundred miles?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,291 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Yea, I guess I felt it got right around 400 or so. It was just such a step up from stock it was unbelievable. The stock 2-up felt like a 4x4 with a piece of leather stapled to it.

I went from stock to a Sundowner. That was comfortable but I hated how it positioned me. (No offence to those who like em.)

I took of the sundowner after one four hundred mile trip and put the Mustang on. The Mustang is padded, but not as soft as the sundowner. It seems to take a few miles in the saddle before I settle into it, then I can ride all day.

After all the miles I put on it, it is still as comfortable. No sign of any breakdown at all. It has seen rain, sun cold, hot and still looks new.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:59 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Yea, I guess I felt it got right around 400 or so. It was just such a step up from stock it was unbelievable. The stock 2-up felt like a 4x4 with a piece of leather stapled to it.

I went from stock to a Sundowner. That was comfortable but I hated how it positioned me. (No offence to those who like em.)

I took of the sundowner after one four hundred mile trip and put the Mustang on. The Mustang is padded, but not as soft as the sundowner. It seems to take a few miles in the saddle before I settle into it, then I can ride all day.

After all the miles I put on it, it is still as comfortable. No sign of any breakdown at all. It has seen rain, sun cold, hot and still looks new.
I have similar issues with the sundowner. Very comfy but sat me to high up and slightly forward. When I sat on the bike yesterday after installing my seat, I felt like a friggin midget. My handlebars now seem to definitely be above my shoulders where they were about even before with the sundowner. It'll take a bit of getting used to the new riding position. I also noticed my legs were almost completely stretched out on the forward controls. Maybe this new position will help me out a bit. Some days with my sundowner, I just couldn't get my feet/legs into a comfy position. Made for what felt like a cramped ride.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
rstew3
Intermediate

[QUOTE=SC-Longhair;4838142]Looks good. Is that the std or wide version?QUOTE]

I bought the standard 13.5" Vintage Solo Seat (76107) and the 12.5" Wide Vintage Rear Seat (76119). In my opinion, the wider the better, however, the 16.5" wide Solo felt like it was hendering my movement when putting my feet down. 13.5 " was wide enough for my a$$, and it actually feals more narrow in the front than the stock seat, so I feel more comfortable coming to a stop. I did get the wide for the passenger going on the theory wider is better, and she doesn't have to put her feet down anyway. She absolutely loves it.

I'll get some pics with both seats on ASAP.

Both Mustang seats I have had in the past do take at least 400 - 500 miles before they really start to break in. No problem though. 400 - 500 miles is a lot easier now, as it's already better than stock!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

I have the same one, 76107. No p-pad yet. The mustang p-pads angle slightly up don't they? I can't stand when my girl rides with me. The sundowner passenger seat is flat and she's constantly sliding forward when I stop, then she has to constantly adjust. Annoys the crap outta me. It's not her fault but I'm just sayin...

Old 04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
rstew3
Intermediate

The passenger doesn't slide forward with my Mustang Passenger at all. I don't think it is angled one way or the other to tell the truth. I'll take some pics tonight with the p pillon on.